Scenes/Views/Activities question [Answered]

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
MightyPancake
Prole

Re: Scenes/Views/Activities question [Answered]

Post by MightyPancake »

Taking a second look on my reply, I'm not suprised You felt attacked, that's my fault
But at least I didn't insulted You
And by the way, I think we missunderstood ourselves. Let's just say that I know what I'm thinking about and I sometimes have mind shortcuts that other's might not see. Everyone has some, I don't know, style of coding I would say? There are almost always several ways to deal with a problem and different people use different ways. I'm almost sure that my point is right. I believe it was just a missunderstanding here
However, Your "friend" took a step more then he should by insulting me and cursing
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

grump wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:28 pm
zorg wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:04 pm i don't think my post was much of a character attack or whatever, nor did i intend it that way, for the record. (not gonna go into grump's responses though)
It wasn't. You did nothing wrong. Asking to clarify bogus claims is very much expected in a technical forum, and if you hadn't done it, someone else would. That's just how productive technical discussions work.

Talking smack about responses having "no intellectual value" and telling the asker to "be quiet" is basically telling people that they're dumb, and that's where the personal attacks have started, not before and not after. And he obviously still thinks he's the one who controls the conversation here, in a very egoistical and arrogant way. He just doesn't seem to understand how forums or public conversations work, and keeps moving goalposts in order to not have to admit that he's wrong. Reminds me very much of another forum user from a while back, who has thankfully disappeared very quickly.
You literally told me to and here's the quote: "shut the fuck up"
And I just meant that either way, I just got an answer that I needed, so I won't discuss any further
Do You know understand my point?
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

I really believed in this forum being nice, but... I don't know. I feel like calling someone to "shut the fuck up" is not really nice. I guess I'll just "shut the fuck up" now. Thanks for the valuable reply grump, that's exactly what I needed while making this thread. I hope You're now happy. Good luck in anything You do, I really hope You won't meet people like You in the future
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

I kinda hoped you got mine, but maybe we were just talking about different coding problems, it happens.
Also, no worries, don't feel attacked at all, confused at most.
Again, my intention wasn't to attack You at any point, however, I feel that Your "friend"/defender (???) is:
What are you quoting exactly in that second part? if it's the "(not gonna go into grump's responses though)" part i wrote, i only meant that i didnt't want to address his style of comments, that's all... unless you meant something else.

Edit: Yep, you meant that; also not gonna say grump's my friend nor did i feel i needed to defend him or for him to defend me; that said, he's free to do whatever in that i'm not stopping him, i'm just a user.

I get that you feel it won't help you, but again, the topic was fresh, and i wanted to clarify that one point, nothing more.
Last edited by zorg on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
grump
Party member

Post by grump »

MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:34 pm You literally told me to and here's the quote: "shut the fuck up"
That's the same thing you told people who tried to help you, I just did it in more clear words, and only after you've insulted more than one user here, and insisted you're right even though you are not. The Internet is a rough place and when you talk shit, you get hit. Granted, I'm not an overly polite person.
And I just meant that either way, I just got an answer that I needed, so I won't discuss any further
Do You know understand my point?
I understand your point. But you need to understand that you don't get to tell people that they should stop discussing things just because you got your answer, and you don't get to tell them that they're dumb because they disagree with you. If you can't or don't want to back your claims, and don't want to continue the discussion, just shut the fuck up.
I really believed in this forum being nice, but... I don't know.
This forum is very nice, it's you who started not being nice and spewing really dumb things. It's kind of sad that you don't seem to understand the initial problem here. Just leave it be now, don't tell people they're dumb and it will all return to being nice.
MightyPancake
Prole

Post by MightyPancake »

zorg wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:00 pm I kinda hoped you got mine, but maybe we were just talking about different coding problems, it happens.
Also, no worries, don't feel attacked at all, confused at most.
Again, my intention wasn't to attack You at any point, however, I feel that Your "friend"/defender (???) is:
What are you quoting exactly in that second part? if it's the "(not gonna go into grump's responses though)" part i wrote, i only meant that i didnt't want to address his style of comments, that's all... unless you meant something else.

Edit: Yep, you meant that; also not gonna say grump's my friend nor did i feel i needed to defend him or for him to defend me; that said, he's free to do whatever in that i'm not stopping him, i'm just a user.

I get that you feel it won't help you, but again, the topic was fresh, and i wanted to clarify that one point, nothing more.
I got all of Your points. Again, I'm really sorry if You felt ofended :( Just sorry
I feel like we indeed missundertood at some point and thanks for being patient and positive trough the whole time. I really, really hope we're good now, zorg. I admit, I might have taken it more personal then it was supposed to be taken.
Looks like I'm siging out of this thread. Thanks for all kinds of helping or even trying to.
And about grump... well, I've just reported You for being agressive and unrelated posts. Don't take it personally, I just really believe You did something very, very wrong
Anyway, it's my last message here, so to finish it of I'll wrap up my every point here:
A) I'm really sorry zorg, I might have went to much emotional here
B) I believe we missunderstood
C) grump, I think that "LOVE" wasn't what You were aiming at when You were writing Your replies. I never asked for insults and I said sorry to users that might have been offended by me. I deserve any kind of apologise
See You all in next thread when/if I'll have any other problem that has no answer yet on this forum :)
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

MightyPancake wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:09 pm I also haven't mentioned even once anything about loading several files at the same time. They'd be loaded, when they need to be loaded. While, in Your "point" I run a big file that contains all of the code for all views (such as menu, highscores etc.) That are included in the file while there's really no need to
So the real comparation is between a small file and a big file that contains several small ones. Since, the small one will run, as I said, all alone by themselves, only "swapping" with other small files
Did I make myself clear here?
I didn't mentioned a single thing about running or loading them simultaneously
This is wrong. The provided code DOES NOT load the files on demand, it loads all the files at start up into a single states table, and then there is a setter/getter that swaps the current active state at runtime. So this is equivalent to the other example which uses a single file (and loads all states at load time). It could be marginally slower due to require searching for the files, and loading them from disk or from the uncompressed .love file in memory.

Loading files on runtime instead of at load time, is a bad idea anyway, since IO (disk) operations can be much much slower than just reading from RAM, so unless you have a prediction strategy to load the files on demand but before they are actually needed, you may experience significant slowdowns in-game.

Also I won't continue the discussion about whether who started attacking first or who is in the wrong... but zorg concern is true and provided more than enough intellectual content to the discussion, starting this debate about speed claims.
As I said your preferred solution doesn't give any performance benefit nor does anything significantly different from the single file one regarding load times. It is, however, cleaner and a more organized way to structure code.

So I hope this does provide intellectual content to the thread, and that it does enlighten you on why zorg question was on point. Next time try to hear people's point before dismissing them.
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
4vZEROv
Party member

Post by 4vZEROv »

If I understand correctly what you are saying, if it bother you to have multiple files but as the same time you want to keep your code clear, you could just write a "compiler" that output a single file from multiple files (just use require() functions to guide you).
But I don't understand what your problem is with multiple files, even with 1000 or 2000 files loading at startup you shouldn't see any notable speed differences.
The only things that slow the startup conciderably is asset loading, not file loading.