Failure to Jump

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
aliceandsven
Prole

Failure to Jump

Post by aliceandsven »

Hello.

I've been trying to get the basics down of creating a simple player movement engine for a 2d platformer, following a tutorial: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/en ... al-01.669/

My box CAN move left and right along the floor BUT HE WON'T JUMP and after almost and hour of just checking the code and seeing what could be wrong I can't figure this out. I'm at my wits end. Everything seems right but he won't friggin' jump.

Please, if anyone with a keener mind could take a look and see if something is wrong, I would appreciate it greatly!

the mechanics are stored in player.lua but maybe something (somehow?!) is not agreeing elsewhere in the other .luas!?

go left = a
go right = d
jump = SUPPOSED TO BE j
Attachments
platforming.love
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Projects: 1) shape story xiv: fabula nova questalis [mouse-avoid game]
tentus
Inner party member

Re: Failure to Jump

Post by tentus »

You check to see if they have landed immediately after you check if they pushed the jump button. Hence, they are landing before they get off the ground.

To fix it, add "self.y = self.y - 1" between lines 39 and 40. This way they get off the ground before being told Velocity = 0
Kurosuke needs beta testers
aliceandsven
Prole

Post by aliceandsven »

Trying this now

EDIT: Thanks it worked!!
Projects: 1) shape story xiv: fabula nova questalis [mouse-avoid game]
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Personally, I would test for the direction of movement, and only register as landed when there's downward motion.