How to disable uppercase in love.textinput ?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
Harrylechienfou
Prole

How to disable uppercase in love.textinput ?

Post by Harrylechienfou »

Hello everybody.
I'm using the love.textinput function currently for my game project, but I have a problem that I can't solve and I hope you can help me.

The problem is that, by default, the uppercase is enable in the function love.textinput, and I have no idea how to disable it. I'm working on a text adventure kinda game and the uppercase is a huge problem for my gameplay : because it's enable, "Map Name", "map name", "Map name" and "MAP NAME" are not considered the same text by my function (obviously) which lead to a lot of... well, problems I guess.

Any idea on how to solve the problem ? I'm new to both lua/love 2d and game developpement in general, so please excuse-me if my question is a bit silly.
Also, I'm french so I hope my english is not too bad.

Thanks everybody !
CrimsonGuy
Prole

Re: How to disable uppercase in love.textinput ?

Post by CrimsonGuy »

Dont know much about about text input, but i guess you can transform the string thats giving you troubles all to UPPERCASE or all to lowercase so you dont have to worry about that.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/320 ... ase-in-lua

Its a workaround, hope it helps
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

Be aware that, as far as i know, string:lower() and string:upper() only consider the 7-bit ASCII (or at most, the 8bit extended range of the currently used locale) range of characters, and it won't work on utf-8 codepoints since they can be multi-byte which the functions don't support.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/115 ... characters

(Note that Löve and LuaJIT itself, that löve uses by default, does have basic support for utf8 strings and some methods with them, but no advanced functionality like case conversion methods, for example.)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Harrylechienfou
Prole

Post by Harrylechienfou »

Thanks so much, it works perfectly !