Function call in love.update seems to only happen once

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
oasl
Prole

Function call in love.update seems to only happen once

Post by oasl »

I'm working on a Tetris clone for practice, and I've run into a problem defining the floor so that the pieces don't fall off the screen. I've got two classes, Pieces and Blocks. Pieces are made up of Blocks, and store the coordinates of each block in a nested table:

Code: Select all

-- stores upper left corner coordinates for each block to use in collision detection
    self.coordinates = {{x = self.blockA.x, y = self.blockA.y}, {x = self.blockB.x, y = self.blockB.y},
                        {x = self.blockC.x, y = self.blockC.y}, {x = self.blockD.x, y = self.blockD.y}}
I've written a function called Piece:collides() that right now only checks the y coordinate of each block and sets the piece's dy to 0. In the current code, I've made the y coordinate to hit pretty small in order to eliminate the possibility that it's stopping after it falls off the screen:

function Piece:collides()
    for _, v in pairs(self.coordinates) do
        if v.y >= 50 then
            return true
        end
    end

return false
end
One of the other things I've checked with this function is reversing the operator to v.y <= 50 to check that it could trigger at all. When I do this, the piece never moves, as its starting position is lower than 50.

Finally, here is my love.update() function in main, where it's called:

function love.update(dt)

if gameState == 'play' then
        piece.dy = GRAVITY

if love.keyboard.isDown('left') then
            piece.dx = -25
        elseif love.keyboard.isDown('right') then
            piece.dx = 25
        else
            piece.dx = 0
        end

if love.keyboard.isDown('down') then
            piece:drop()
        else
            piece.dy = GRAVITY
        end

if piece:collides() then
            piece.dy = 0
        end

piece:update(piece.dx, piece.dy, dt)
    end

end
Everything else in this function works as expected. Piece:drop() is probably the closest related to Piece:collides(), as it's also changing the dy:

function Piece:drop()
    self.dy = GRAVITY * 5
end
The other test I tried was printing the y coordinates to the screen as it ran to make sure the piece was where I expected it to be. It went above 50 without ever stopping.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. As far as I can tell it seems to be only calling Piece:collides() once when gameState turns to 'play', but I see no reason why that should be happening.

Please let me know if there's any other code I should post.
bobbyjones
Party member

Re: Function call in love.update seems to only happen once

Post by bobbyjones »

Do you have the complete .love file available? I will be able to help if you can provide that.