Mac Executable -- Logo Won't Update

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
ThreeFlags
Prole

Mac Executable -- Logo Won't Update

Post by ThreeFlags »

Hi,

I'm really digging Love2d, and have built a few simple games. I've dabbled in programming before, but this was light years easier than my previous explorations. Kudos to all involved.

I was successful in creating a Mac executable for a game, but try as I might I just cannot get the logo to update. I've watched the video tutorial (@ https://youtu.be/SU2RpGdezP4) and followed the steps carefully (i.e., creating a .icns file & adjusting the plist). I've spent time googling "change icon mac app" etc and looking through those tutorials as well. I've tried "killall Dock" and "touch myapp.app" and rebooting.

I'm running 10.14.6 Mojave. I really can't think of what I might be doing wrong, and I cannot think of anything else to try. I'm guessing there's something simple to fix -- no fun I can't uncover it.

Anyone else run into this issue? Any educated guesses what might help?
ThreeFlags
Prole

Re: Mac Executable -- Logo Won't Update

Post by ThreeFlags »

Here's a thought. Does anyone have a Mac program (using latest love2d version) that is easily downloadable where you were successful in changing the logo? I wouldn't mind downloading. If the logo is changed, I can look to see what was different between what you and I did. If the logo doesn't change, it's my system.
hoistbypetard
Prole

Post by hoistbypetard »

ThreeFlags wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:27 pm Here's a thought. Does anyone have a Mac program (using latest love2d version) that is easily downloadable where you were successful in changing the logo? I wouldn't mind downloading. If the logo is changed, I can look to see what was different between what you and I did. If the logo doesn't change, it's my system.
I just tested this on a mac, as I'm setting up some build scripts. (I'm building for all 3 platforms from a Linux box.) Here's a screenshot.
sfxr.app.zip
mac executable, zipped
(15.68 MiB) Downloaded 279 times
The icon I chose for testing is from iconarchive.com.

To create the .app, I downloaded love.app from the github release, modified the plist as described here in the wiki and copied my custom icon to "sfxr.app/Contents/Resources/OS X AppIcon.icns".

See how it works for you. I was testing on 10.12.6.
Attachments
custom icon on mac
custom icon on mac
love2d-sfxr.png (480.64 KiB) Viewed 8450 times
ThreeFlags
Prole

Post by ThreeFlags »

hoistbypetard wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:28 pm See how it works for you. I was testing on 10.12.6.
Thanks so much -- it shows up with the same love logo; suggesting that there's something about my system that is mirroring the standard logo on all love applications. hmmm... (At least the fault might not be mine in following the directions.... And other users might see the custom logo.)

Thank you!
ThreeFlags
Prole

Post by ThreeFlags »

Not sure exactly what I did, but I got it to work. I set up everything for the new file and simply renamed it after everything was set the way I wanted.

My system used the new icon right after I renamed it. Magic? Luck? Not sure -- but nothing else seemed to work.