about Lua

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
tutor_34
Prole

about Lua

Post by tutor_34 »

OK Hello I am a noob, wanting to know more about lua ofcourse, is there a site where you can find out like certain keywords for lua.
say i wanna write a demo game and stuff like, how would i know what to type like i know with programming in general you write code in a list manner but like how would i know what to write....umm to be more specific like say i wanna make a game demo where would i start with and is it just lua that dose everything do i need like opengl n stuff like i dont know much but ive been practice programming for like 2 or 3 years and ive gotten nowhere...but this site is helping me a bit more than anything i ever come across...like i wanna get a demo game from this site and look at its code to see what goin on ya know study it and stuff....

Umm like im lost and i dont think i got my point across well here i will try again but can someone atleast comment???

ive got the computer fever rite now!! thanks gamers and programmers!!!!!

Tutor_34
MrFariator
Party member

Re: about Lua

Post by MrFariator »

Perhaps this tutorial by sheepolution can get you started? It should help you learn and understand lua and löve.
Xii
Party member

Post by Xii »

For any programming language, there are always three resources to read.

1. Language reference manual. LÖVE uses Lua 5.1. This tells you all the language keywords and features.

2. Standard library. A collection of universally useful functions included in the language itself. For Lua, these are listed in the language reference manual above, here. Additionally, LÖVE uses a flavor of Lua called LuaJIT, which includes some additional libraries, detailed here.

3. Your chosen framework/middleware/library, in this case LÖVE. All the functions provided are described on the wiki, by category.

Additionally there are both Lua and LÖVE tutorials on the web, which you can find on any search engine like Google.

Finally, as is the case right here, a helpful community will assist you along the way. :)
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

You can use opengl, but you only need lua. The functions inside love2d(like love.graphics.draw) aren't coded in lua but in c++, then their made to work in lua to make it faster. Once you know about tables in lua, you're fine(tho there's still functions and logic and whatnot :) )
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

Sheepollution is where you start. Have the wiki handy.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season
Gunroar:Cannon()
Party member

Post by Gunroar:Cannon() »

togFox wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:46 pm Sheepollution is where you start. Have the wiki handy.
It seems that, truly, we all started at sheep pollution.
"( -_- )" *nod*
The risk I took was calculated,
but man, am I bad at math.

-How to be saved and born again :huh:
tutor_34
Prole

Post by tutor_34 »

Firstly I would like to thank everyone...sheep pollution here i come...
togFox
Party member

Post by togFox »

I actually dusted with 'Getting started' and configuring Notepad,++ but yeah, Sheep has Little bit of everything.
Current project:
https://togfox.itch.io/backyard-gridiron-manager
American football manager/sim game - build and manage a roster and win season after season