Distrubuting

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
coke905
Citizen

Distrubuting

Post by coke905 »

When we distribute the games we made do we have to say made with LOVE2d framework and are people on MAC PC's able to play the games that we make ?

i know it working on windows 7 but will it work with MAC ?
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Distrubuting

Post by Nixola »

If you package the .app correctly, it's going to work on Macs.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

1.ZLIB license. The origin of this software must not be misrepresented; you must not claim that you wrote the original software. If you use this software in a product, an acknowledgment in the product documentation would be appreciated but is not required.
So you don't have to say that it's made with Love, but you can't say that you wrote love.

2.If you make it into a .app for mac users then they can play it as an application, or you can give them the .love file that they can run in love. If you want to distribute your game to a wide mac audience you should use the first one, for ease of use for the macs, and so no extra software needs to be downloaded. You can give a .love but not a .exe to mac.
coke905
Citizen

Post by coke905 »

So if i just post a .LOVE file then people have to have LOVE downloaded onto their computer?

And my other question was how do i make it into a .exe AND .app
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

coke905 wrote:And my other question was how do i make it into a .exe AND .app
Good thing there is a page dedicated to game distribution on the front page of the wiki so you can readily find it. Game_Distribution
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

You can use .love's though less convenient. To make a .app download the mac osx. There should be a folder called love. Open it. Go into contents, then resources. Place your .love into the resources folder. Now simply give that folder to mac computers and that will work.
coke905
Citizen

Post by coke905 »

Techno Cat that doesnt work for me im using windows 7 it says cannot find file specified, if it does matter my LOVE isint where it automaticly is downloaded i put it in a specific folder,

my love thing is downloaded in "C:\(mmorpg)\LOVE\love-0.8.0-win-x64"

then my Game.love is in "C:\(mmorpg)\LOVE\love-0.8.0-win-x64\Practice\exe#1"
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Qcode wrote:You can use .love's though less convenient.
I say always distribute a .love. It's almost zero extra work for you, since you need to make a .love anyway for fused distribution, and it is much more convenient for users that already have LÖVE. And even more so for users that have SELÖVE: they will not want to be forced to either trust you or download a huge binary only to use nothing but the .love that is hidden inside.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Qcode
Party member

Post by Qcode »

Robin wrote:
Qcode wrote:You can use .love's though less convenient.
I say always distribute a .love. It's almost zero extra work for you, since you need to make a .love anyway for fused distribution, and it is much more convenient for users that already have LÖVE. And even more so for users that have SELÖVE: they will not want to be forced to either trust you or download a huge binary only to use nothing but the .love that is hidden inside.
I was talking more about if you wanted to distribute to a less computer experienced audience. I always have to make binaries for those I want to give my game to (I live in Montana, not many are computer experienced) as they don't want to have to go to separate websites, or else they will deem getting the game too "hard". The majority of them only want to download one file, and then be able to instantly play it, or unzip something and then be able to play it.