Retina MacBook Pro.... how will Löve be handled?

Questions about the LÖVE API, installing LÖVE and other support related questions go here.
Forum rules
Before you make a thread asking for help, read this.
evanwalsh
Prole

Re: Retina MacBook Pro.... how will Löve be handled?

Post by evanwalsh »

Is there any way of supporting retina displays at this point? Perhaps in 0.9.0? I upgraded to a retina MBP mid-development and I'm a bit saddened by the pixelation. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

If you want your game to run on any computer (or Android device, the Nexus 10 runs crazy high resolution too) you need to code independently of resolution anyway. There's no point in handling the MBP as a special case in LÖVE.
evanwalsh
Prole

Post by evanwalsh »

T-Bone wrote:If you want your game to run on any computer (or Android device, the Nexus 10 runs crazy high resolution too) you need to code independently of resolution anyway. There's no point in handling the MBP as a special case in LÖVE.
I think you're misunderstanding the issue I'm having.

When I run my game on my retina MBP, it looks like this. Text (and the bounding circle) should be perfectly sharp, but they aren't because of the pixel doubling. It looks fine on a non-retina display.
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

evanwalsh wrote:
T-Bone wrote:If you want your game to run on any computer (or Android device, the Nexus 10 runs crazy high resolution too) you need to code independently of resolution anyway. There's no point in handling the MBP as a special case in LÖVE.
I think you're misunderstanding the issue I'm having.

When I run my game on my retina MBP, it looks like this. Text (and the bounding circle) should be perfectly sharp, but they aren't because of the pixel doubling. It looks fine on a non-retina display.
That's not something a LÖVE game developer can do something about. It seems really wierd to me that Apple would code it this way by default. I mean, for normal GUI applications this makes sense, but not for games and stuff.

I guess the Löve executable for Mac could be changed to fix this.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

This is something that will hopefully be fixed in SDL 2, unfortunately I don't have a retina Mac to test on (LÖVE 0.9.0 won't necessarily be using SDL 2, though.)