love.cloud

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
bartbes
Sex machine

love.cloud

Post by bartbes »

I was thinking about LÖVE and cloud computing and came up with: love.cloud.
The basic idea is a centralized system where games can store save games, user profiles, highscores, etc.
Eventually it should be a place where games, updates and DLC can be distributed to users.

The goal is to create an easy, common and closely integrated library that has a wide userbase, an example of what it should be like:

Code: Select all

love.cloud.identify(game_id) --game ids will be given on request
love.cloud.login(username, password) --a username and password of the player
love.cloud.setHighscore(score)
love.cloud.saveGame(data)
--etc
The biggest problem now is having a userbase and having a server, any hints or offers are greatly appreciated.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: love.cloud

Post by Robin »

Hackability should be a concern, for example for hiscores. The next line is especially problematic:

Code: Select all

love.cloud.identify(game_id)
How do we assure that the game is actually game_id?
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Fizzadar
Prole

Post by Fizzadar »

I love this idea! I assume you'd write a server .love for storing the data etc depending on the game id and so on?

As for the project, I own a server (well, multiple) but I have one specific one I use for gameservers (http://winsaucestudios.com/) which could potentially host this...
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Robin wrote:Hackability should be a concern
It sure is, and I am sure that I will find a way to validate stuff.. just.. wait.
Fizzadar wrote:I assume you'd write a server .love
Well, it won't be a .love, as it is pretty useless for a dedicated server to have a GUI, I'm not sure whether it'll be in written in Lua, C++, Tcl, or Fetus (though the last is very, very improbable)
Fizzadar wrote:I own a server (well, multiple) but I have one specific one I use for gameservers (http://winsaucestudios.com/) which could potentially host this...
Thanks for the offer! Of course I'll have to see how this idea grows, but when (or if?) I get to the point where I need a host I will certainly keep you in mind.

I'm not too sure about the format of the library itself, if I ever want to get it incorporated in LÖVE, fast and secure I'll probably need to write it in C/C++, not a problem, but certainly something I(/we) need to think about. In the case I build it as an external library I will probably create an installer for it and this allows people to install love.cloud when they want.

There are a lot of things to think about, but I'm sure this could be a wonderful project.

EDIT: Think about the added value this'll give LÖVE!
Fizzadar
Prole

Post by Fizzadar »

bartbes wrote: EDIT: Think about the added value this'll give LÖVE!
This. Especially the downloadable content and stuff, possibly updates for games? Global saves would be perfect for "longer" games as well.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

bartbes wrote:I'm not sure whether it'll be in written in Lua, C++, Tcl, or Fetus (though the last is very, very improbable)
Even worse: BrainFuck or Suzy.
bartbes wrote:EDIT: Think about the added value this'll give LÖVE!
Think about the new puns this'll give us! OK, I can't think of any... but there must be loads of them...
Help us help you: attach a .love.
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

love.orgy
eh? eh?
Sardtok
Party member

Post by Sardtok »

TechnoCat wrote:love.orgy
My thought exactly.
Take off every Zigg for great rapist.
Now, outgay that!
Geti
Party member

Post by Geti »

i am very much for this idea, especially as i'm looking at mmo ideas that are community driven. it would be super if the software could be installed on any server with minimal configuration. also, i think hashing the game's files (especially main.lua) and using a lookup against each game id would be a good idea.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Geti wrote:i think hashing the game's files (especially main.lua) and using a lookup against each game id would be a good idea.
I thought about that, but there is almost never 1 file you need to check, most bigger projects I've worked on consisted of multiple files, thus multiple point where you could enter your own code.