Whisper

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
qaisjp
Party member

Re: Whisper

Post by qaisjp »

bump and License?
Lua is not an acronym.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

This is a terrific thing :)

As for server listing: Have an option (on by default) for whisper servers to communicate with a listing server that it is online and public. Allow this to be disabled for private servers.

On the client side, have it query the listing server for a master list of public servers (I'd recommend json) and also the ability to input a host/ip for a private server.

That seems to be the simplest way to do it, I'd think.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Ah, I usually expect a LICENSE file not a license.txt file.. nevermind.
Lua is not an acronym.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

Oh goodness, topic necromancy!

I appreciate the additional support you guys are giving! If you've looked at the server code, you'll see it's somewhat of a mess. I have a few internal improvements planned as well as a new messaging scheme I would like to implement. I still have a few features in mind I would like to implement, such as the ability to connect to other servers (whisperchat.no-ip.org and the server are both offline) and more configuration options. The internal changes I want to make would go a long way toward facilitating new features.

Maybe someday soon I will pick this up again. The repo link is in my signature, and there you can report bugs with the latest version and make suggestions as well. Many of the features in Whisper were the results of suggestions!

Edit: The license is ZLIB (The same as LOVE itself), which more or less lets you do what you want with the code as long as the origin of the code is not misconstrued in any way.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

I submitted my suggestions as issues on both the client and server, though I don't know how to label them as suggestions :x

qaisjp
Party member

Post by qaisjp »

Suggestion:
The server resource could be more "command-line based". I know you can't add input to the command line, so maybe you could make the actual love window a console.
In my modification of the server I set the width and height to 1,1 to make the window invisible and added log() ( log = print ) functions to every client output to view the actions in the console.
Lua is not an acronym.
Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I don't believe it's possible to do non-blocking console input, or I would write the server in pure Lua.

If anyone wants to correct me on this and provide examples, fire away.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

You can create a command-only server without an actual love window, but I don't think you can do any input to it.

https://github.com/karai17/love-und-pan ... r/conf.lua
https://github.com/karai17/love-und-pan ... r/main.lua

Ensayia
Party member

Post by Ensayia »

I've updated Whisper (client and server) to 0.3.0. The change you will most likely notice is the new skin.

I made some huge internal changes, switching the message packaging and transmission over to serialized tables rather than formatted strings. This makes things easier to work with and eliminates quite a bit of string subdividing. I've also restructured the code and put major components into their own functions rather than everything stuffed in one ugly nested loop. These changes make the code far easier to work with and will allow me to add new features with ease.

I'll have the server up all night, join in and say hello!

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/371 ... t-030.love
Johannes
Prole

Post by Johannes »

If I have love 0.8.0 installed, should double clicking the .love file just work? or do I need to install anything else?

I'm asking since I'm trying the most recent version (0.3.0) and just getting an error:
okwLoR4.png
okwLoR4.png (98.83 KiB) Viewed 220 times