JELLY

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Nsmurf
Party member

Re: JELLY

Post by Nsmurf »

OmarShehata wrote:
It's actually pretty simple. All I have here is a chain, tied together by revolute joints. And then I just apply a force on every segment, in the direction of it's angle + 90 degrees, so that I'm always pushing outwards. It has a few flaws but it works, and I'm trying to make it more full proof. And maybe then make it so that the jelly can morph together if you push then against each other.
That's what it looked like, ruining the effect. It would be better if you filled it, like in the flash version.
OmarShehata wrote: If you're interested, this will be a mechanic of some sort in Concerned Joe, dev blog is in my sig!
Awesome!
Just wanted to let you know, I'm looking forward to seeing concerned joe and how it turns out! (It sounds like you're using canvases though :( (But I'll still be able to play, just not on my usual PC (Oh god, I just managed to use 3 parentheses, nested inside each other!) ) )
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Nsmurf wrote: Awesome!
Just wanted to let you know, I'm looking forward to seeing concerned joe and how it turns out! (It sounds like you're using canvases though :( (But I'll still be able to play, just not on my usual PC (Oh god, I just managed to use 3 parentheses, nested inside each other!) ) )
We're not actually using canvases...yet!

We're using shaders though. I was avoiding using canvases until someone pointed out that, since I'm using shaders, then the graphics card will probably be able to support canvases as well. Is that the case for you?

Also, what graphics card/specs do you have? I really, really hope that the amount of people with graphics cards that don't support canvases/shaders is tiny enough that it would be insignificant. Cuz it's really suck if someone's computer can run Crysis but not Concerned Joe :/
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

OmarShehata wrote: We're not actually using canvases...yet!

Yessssss! :awesome:
OmarShehata wrote: We're using shaders though.
Nooooooo! :o
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:
OmarShehata wrote: We're not actually using canvases...yet!

Yessssss! :awesome:
OmarShehata wrote: We're using shaders though.
Nooooooo! :o
I'm curious, would your graphics card support a game made in C++ that used shaders? Because that would suck.

Also I could live without canvases, but I really don't think I can make this game without shaders. Even if we don't use any fancy effects or lighting whatsoever, we use it for applying color transform on objects such as brightness, hue, saturation etc.. which is an integral part of the animation system.
Nsmurf
Party member

Post by Nsmurf »

OmarShehata wrote:Also, what graphics card/specs do you have? I really, really hope that the amount of people with graphics cards that don't support canvases/shaders is tiny enough that it would be insignificant. Cuz it's really suck if someone's computer can run Crysis but not Concerned Joe :/
I found this for testing my graphics card. Is that the sort of thing you are looking for? I attached an image of the relevant stuff.
Attachments
Graphics card info.
Graphics card info.
gcard.PNG (15.02 KiB) Viewed 1564 times
OBEY!!!
My Blog
UE0gbWUgd2l0aCB0aGUgd29yZCAnSE1TRycgYXMgdGhlIHN1YmplY3Q=
Darky
Citizen

Post by Darky »

Awesome work !

I was following this tutorial : http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2012/09 ... body-blob/, but it looks like your way is better.

although in windows, when you move the windows, the game freeze for a second and you broke up everything...
http://darky-ben.fr/Xut my webcomic (french)
OmarShehata
Party member

Post by OmarShehata »

Darky wrote:Awesome work !

I was following this tutorial : http://www.emanueleferonato.com/2012/09 ... body-blob/, but it looks like your way is better.

although in windows, when you move the windows, the game freeze for a second and you broke up everything...
That does look interesting.

His method has the added bonus that it's more stable, and that since it uses distance joints, you could theoretically make a blob of any shape.

I've been playing around with it but I'm not sure which method I prefer. It does have a problem with the fact that things can go inside the blob, and you may not want that. And since distance joints only constrain movement on one axis, if the order of the satellites changes then it may mess up your texturing.

I think a combination of the two would be pretty awesome, because making jelly rectangles or even complex jelly shapes does sound very tempting.
Darky
Citizen

Post by Darky »

making jelly rectangles or even complex jelly shapes does sound very tempting.
That's so true :
Please share your discoveries and keep up the good work !
http://darky-ben.fr/Xut my webcomic (french)
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Moar Jelly! Looking forward to seeing what happens to this, and also how it ends up looking.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
IndieKid
Citizen

Post by IndieKid »

That's great!