Textured Polygons for All!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: Textured Polygons for All!

Post by Jasoco »

Ref wrote:I'm afraid that Love 0.9 is just too fluid at this point for me to keep up with (when changes are made daily).
Will wait further coding until things stablize and an official release is made.
Will continue to monitor your work to get some insite as to how things work & what needs to be updated.
Best!

Edit: So couldn't resist! With the "old" version of Love 0.9, the conversion of my rotating textured cube was a snap.
Would post code but no assurance that "newer" versions of Love 0.9 would require furthe modifications.
Ill pit this feature on the back burner until 9 is more ready. Shame because that cube is exactly hat I am looking for.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Maybe you can get my code to work if you hatched-out some of the non-essential stuff & rename some of the other.
Love 0.9.0 really has a lot of interesting new features!
Attachments
texturedCube9.love
textured cube modified for Love 0.9.0
(610.93 KiB) Downloaded 401 times
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Trying to understand what's going on with the transition from Love 0.8 to 0.9.
How will pixel effects be performed after newPixelEffect is removed and all we have is newGeometry (pixel shader vs vertex shader)?
Geometry is great for texturing and coloring geometries but how will sceen lighting be done?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

They are still supported, they're just named Shaders, and vertex shaders have also been added.
Ref
Party member

Post by Ref »

Sure will be interesting to see how!
Got any simple examples.
Would like to add lighting to my rotating (textured) cube.
Edit:
Sure would think I'd read my own posts and look at my own code.
Sorry for this post.
Problem now is that the effect is applied to each textured face and not the screen.
Looks like I'll have to draw the textured cube to a canvas and then apply lighting to the canvas.
More fun.
Edit: Yup! That did it. Draw to canvas and the apply Shader to canvas.
Any more recent Love 0.9.0 builds for windows?
Attachments
Cube with lighting
Cube with lighting
texturedCube.jpg (29.77 KiB) Viewed 9428 times
Last edited by Ref on Fri May 17, 2013 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Windows builds are regularly uploaded by Boolsheet to the "Branches" section here: https://bitbucket.org/Boolsheet/love_winbin/downloads
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Ref wrote:Sure will be interesting to see how!
Got any simple examples.
Would like to add lighting to my rotating (textured) cube.
Edit:
Sure would think I'd read my own posts and look at my own code.
Sorry for this post.
Problem now is that the effect is applied to each textured face and not the screen.
Looks like I'll have to draw the textured cube to a canvas and then apply lighting to the canvas.
More fun.
Edit: Yup! That did it. Draw to canvas and the apply Shader to canvas.
Any more recent Love 0.9.0 builds for windows?
I like it. Well, that there's no noticeable distortion in the image. Exactly what I'm going to need for my project.

What are the speed differences if you were to say draw about 1000 Geometry polygons vs. 1000 normally drawn polygons? This is what I'm most interested in.
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Jasoco wrote:What are the speed differences if you were to say draw about 1000 Geometry polygons vs. 1000 normally drawn polygons? This is what I'm most interested in.
Creating Geometries every frame will be less efficient than drawing the same ones without re-creation. This is another advantage of using the vertex shader for 3D projection: polygons and the projection matrix are decoupled - although Geometries are still limited to convex polygons (in terms of 2d space.)
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

slime wrote:
Jasoco wrote:What are the speed differences if you were to say draw about 1000 Geometry polygons vs. 1000 normally drawn polygons? This is what I'm most interested in.
Creating Geometries every frame will be less efficient than drawing the same ones without re-creation. This is another advantage of using the vertex shader for 3D projection: polygons and the projection matrix are decoupled - although Geometries are still limited to convex polygons (in terms of 2d space.)
I'm talking about whatever method Ref is using above. I want to know how much of an impact it has on speed if you were to draw say a hundred of those cubes with textures vs. a hundred flat shaded polygons.
ColourTheory
Prole

Post by ColourTheory »

Woah ROBLOX