Tiny fractal studio :-)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
0x69
Prole

Tiny fractal studio :-)

Post by 0x69 »

Hi,

I made small fractal studio with LOVE, there you can create your own fractal. Come here to see :
http://coding-experiments.blogspot.com/ ... actal.html

:-)
farvardin
Party member

Re: Tiny fractal studio :-)

Post by farvardin »

really interesting, but I have to kill the process after the fractal is generated.

It's well done anyway.
0x69
Prole

Post by 0x69 »

farvardin wrote:really interesting, but I have to kill the process after the fractal is generated.
It's well done anyway.

As about your problem - in that case fractal is not generated - you saw only intermediate results :-) (Each iteration adds additional details to fractal).
So you should wait until the end of computation to see the end-result.
But of course there is a way to hang-up the fractal generation process if fractal is too complex to calculate ;)
For example if we take initiator rectangle (4 lines) and some generator polyline with 10 lines. Then to compute fractal in 6 iterations there should be needed at least 4*10^6 = 4 000 000 operations of scaling/translation/rotation. So my advice for not hanging-up process for too complicated fractal - lets use not greater than 8 lines for generator or initiator.
farvardin
Party member

Post by farvardin »

ok, I understand. I was drawing instead of pointing to create the generator and initiator, so it was too big.
There should be a way to stop the computation if possible, or to create the fractal step by step.

I love this tool!
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

0x69 wrote:As about your problem - in that case fractal is not generated - you saw only intermediate results :-)
Well, with fractals one can only show intermediate results at any time, since it would take literally infinite time to completely generate it. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Person
Prole

Post by Person »

Are you sure about that? Wouldn't only need to go as far as you have pixels to display for? As in, the fractal is finished once you know what the color for the pixel will be and all other features will be smaller then a pixel?
"Here's another curse for you, may all your bacon burn."
0x69
Prole

Post by 0x69 »

Robin wrote:
0x69 wrote:As about your problem - in that case fractal is not generated - you saw only intermediate results :-)
Well, with fractals one can only show intermediate results at any time, since it would take literally infinite time to completely generate it. ;)
Mathematically you are right. But as for PC process - it doesn`t make sense to talk about some process which never finishes. So it is reasonable to re-define definition of "final results". It just means some chosen N-th iteration of fractal. In my case N=6 are final results ;)
So you just mis-interpreted what i wanted to say with "final/intermediate results". (Intermediate results are any with N < 6)

good luck!
Last edited by 0x69 on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
0x69
Prole

Post by 0x69 »

farvardin wrote: There should be a way to stop the computation if possible, or to create the fractal step by step.
I`ve added this to known issues. If i will have time and wish - i will add some hang-up prevention, something like not leting user to draw more than 8 lines ;)
farvardin wrote: I love this tool!
Thanks again ;)
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

0x69 wrote:Mathematically you are right. But as for PC process - it doesn`t make sense to talk about some process which never finishes. So it is reasonable to re-define definition of "final results". It just means some chosen N-th iteration of fractal. In my case N=6 are final results ;)
So you just mis-interpreted what i wanted to say with "final/intermediate results". (Intermediate results are any with N < 6)

good luck!
Ah, I know. I was just messing a bit with you. ;)
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Thustrust
Prole

Post by Thustrust »

You should try to get it to calculate and draw a maximum number of lines per frame so there's no lag and the detail can be as large as you want. Rather than doing all operations in a single "frame" which gets exponentially more computationally intensive, maybe you could just run through a set number of lines in each frame. That way the fractal would slowly draw itself and the program wouldn't hang.

Would that work?