HUMP - yet another set of helpers

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
vrld
Party member

Re: HUMP - yet another set of helpers

Post by vrld »

Rishavs wrote:I need some help with camera coordinates.
I didn't go too deep into you code, but you shouldn't need to transform the coordinates for drawing; just draw the sprite at object.x, object.y.

camera:worldCoords() is only needed to figure out where some point on the screen (between 0,0 and width/height of the window) is in the game world. It is used, for example, to figure out where the mouse pointer points to in the game world.

Conversly, camera:cameraCoords() maps a point in the game world to coordinate in the game window.

Kibita wrote:I dont know what's going on with my Timer, it should make my obstacles doing a smooth oscillation in the X axis, but they go crazy, oscillating very fast gradually.
Looks like you execute Timer.script every frame (if you don't, please post the whole file). You need to call it only once, which defines the script. The script is updated every time you call Timer.update().
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Kibita
Prole

Post by Kibita »

vrld wrote:
Kibita wrote:I dont know what's going on with my Timer, it should make my obstacles doing a smooth oscillation in the X axis, but they go crazy, oscillating very fast gradually.
Looks like you execute Timer.script every frame (if you don't, please post the whole file). You need to call it only once, which defines the script. The script is updated every time you call Timer.update().
Actually, I created the Timer.script() inside the Obstacle.new() method, so it should run one time, I guess. But I "solved" the problem doing this:

Code: Select all

local function updateTweenScript(obj)
    if obj.type == "oscillator-x" then
        obstacleTimer.tween(10, obj, {distFromMid = obj.radius}, "in-linear", function()
            obstacleTimer.tween(10, obj, {distFromMid = const.gameWidth / 2}, "in-linear", function()
                updateTweenScript(obj)
            end)
        end)
    end
end
The function call itself.
Rishavs
Party member

Post by Rishavs »

vrld wrote: I didn't go too deep into you code, but you shouldn't need to transform the coordinates for drawing; just draw the sprite at object.x, object.y.

camera:worldCoords() is only needed to figure out where some point on the screen (between 0,0 and width/height of the window) is in the game world. It is used, for example, to figure out where the mouse pointer points to in the game world.

Conversly, camera:cameraCoords() maps a point in the game world to coordinate in the game window.
Hi Vrld

strangely its not working out for me.
I want to render a sprite at the coordinates coming from Tiled map object.
The object has coords of 320, 2880.

When i put that coord as the coords for the sprite, it doesnt spawns where it needs to. I tried every permutation of coordinate change but i cant get the sprite to render at the Tiled object coordinate. The sprite is positioned at the proper position when i manually put the coords as 708, 1602.
vrld
Party member

Post by vrld »

Kibita wrote:Actually, I created the Timer.script() inside the Obstacle.new() method, so it should run one time, I guess.
Sorry for answering so late, but better late than never:

The actual problem with the origin script

obstacleTimer.script(function(wait)
    while true do
        obstacleTimer.tween(7, self, {distFromMid = 100}, "in-linear", function()
            obstacleTimer.tween(7, self, {distFromMid = 400}, "in-linear") -- const.gameWidth / 2
        end) -- self.radius
        wait(1)
    end
end)
is that you start a tween that takes 14 seconds (7 in + 7 out), but only wait one second before starting a new tween. In hump, tweens can overlay each other. So after two seconds, you have two tweens at the same time, after three seconds there are three, etc.
Waiting 14 seconds should work. Better yet, Timer.script() gets rid of the callback style:

obstacleTimer.script(function(wait)
    while true do
        obstacleTimer.tween(7, self, {distFromMid = 100}, "in-linear")
        wait(7)
        obstacleTimer.tween(7, self, {distFromMid = 400}, "in-linear")
        wait(7)
    end
end)
Rishavs wrote:When i put that coord as the coords for the sprite, it doesnt spawns where it needs to. I tried every permutation of coordinate change but i cant get the sprite to render at the Tiled object coordinate. The sprite is positioned at the proper position when i manually put the coords as 708, 1602.
Can you upload a (minimal) .love so I can have a look at the problem?
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

hump | HC | SUIT | moonshine
Kibita
Prole

Post by Kibita »

The actual problem with the origin script is that you start a tween that takes 14 seconds (7 in + 7 out), but only wait one second before starting a new tween. In hump, tweens can overlay each other. So after two seconds, you have two tweens at the same time, after three seconds there are three, etc.
Yes! I discovered this doing some test in a test project. Thank you.
Viomi
Prole

Post by Viomi »

I've come here for help with HUMP because I'm thoroughly confused as to what I'm doing wrong.

Example code:

Button = Class{}

function Button:init(x, y, width, height)
	self.x = x
	self.y = y
	self.width = width
	self.height = height
end

function Button:clickedOn(self, x, y)
	if (x >= self.x) and (x <= self.x + self.width) and (y >= self.y) and (y <= self.y + self.height) then
		return true
	else
		return false
	end
end

local mainmenu = {}
local game = {}

function love.load()
	Gamestate.registerEvents()
	Gamestate.switch(mainmenu)
end

function mainmenu:init()
	start = Button('fill', 10, 10, 50, 50)
end

function mainmenu:mousereleased(x, y, button, istouch)
	if button == 1 then
		if start.clickedOn(x, y) then
			Gamestate.switch(game)
		end
	end
end
Gives me an error from clickedOn:
'Error: attempt to index local 'self' (a nil value)

What have I done wrong this time? :?
Nixola
Inner party member

Post by Nixola »

Button:clickedOn is defined with ":" but has self in the arguments. Remove the "self" from there, I guess
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
Viomi
Prole

Post by Viomi »

Nixola wrote:Button:clickedOn is defined with ":" but has self in the arguments. Remove the "self" from there, I guess
Oh, woops.

That was rather stupid of me. :shock:

Removed self from the arguments, and called it with start:clickedOn instead of start.clickedOn.

Thanks Nixola ;)
Jack Dandy
Prole

Post by Jack Dandy »

Hey, I have a question about the Hump.timer's "every" function.

Let's say I have this piece of code:

if key == 's' then
    Timer_enemyturn:every(1, gamefuncs.activateAI())
  end
But, when I push 's', it only activates the enemy's AI once. How come? I thought it should make the enemy's AI activate every second.

I even checked it, and when I replaced the "activateAI" function with a simple print-to-console function, it only called it once.
MadByte
Party member

Post by MadByte »

You should provide a code example for that, otherwise I just can guess what might be wrong.
Make sure that you're updating the timer in your update callback.