Barebones Isometric Map + Camera Panning

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
ninwa
Party member

Re: Barebones Isometric Map + Camera Panning

Post by ninwa »

Took me forever to get it working but you can now draw maps in a string format and have them displayed. Next step is editor mode and importing/exporting maps! :o)

-Ninwa
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

ninwa wrote:Took me forever to get it working but you can now draw maps in a string format and have them displayed. Next step is editor mode and importing/exporting maps! :o)

-Ninwa
I liked to see the parsing string map option. You gonna add more types of cubes/units right? I'm curious about the way you gonna parse with multiple tiles. Perhaps a translator table of the char to desired tile object info and a universal reader that reads the table should do the trick. The string map remind me the techniques used in roguelikes maps.

About the mouse movement dragged or not don't care really, it's a matter of option and taste. We see both options applied in several games.
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
ninwa
Party member

Post by ninwa »

arquivista wrote:
ninwa wrote:Took me forever to get it working but you can now draw maps in a string format and have them displayed. Next step is editor mode and importing/exporting maps! :o)

-Ninwa
I liked to see the parsing string map option. You gonna add more types of cubes/units right? I'm curious about the way you gonna parse with multiple tiles. Perhaps a translator table of the char to desired tile object info and a universal reader that reads the table should do the trick. The string map remind me the techniques used in roguelikes maps.
Absolutely correct, it would use a tileset table 'g' = grass, etc. I'm probably going to put it on hold for awhile and finish my other game, but I want to build on this to make at least some sort of demo. I found it interesting and had never dealt with isometric tiles before so it was a good learning experience. There's so much you could add, and there are other demos which do this much better (two on the front page of this section :)). Someone should seriously build a isometrically tiled engine that we can all use it.

You guys here that? You can even call it tits. Tiles, isometrically tilted, sweet... :)

Thanks for checking it out! :)
-Nin
zac352
Party member

Post by zac352 »

ninwa wrote:
arquivista wrote:

-Ninwa
Absolutely correct, it would use a tileset table 'g' = grass, etc. I'm probably going to put it on hold for awhile and finish my other game, but I want to build on this to make at least some sort of demo. I found it interesting and had never dealt with isometric tiles before so it was a good learning experience. There's so much you could add, and there are other demos which do this much better (two on the front page of this section :)). Someone should seriously build a isometrically tiled engine that we can all use it.

You guys here that? You can even call it tits. Tiles, isometrically tilted, sweet... :)

Thanks for checking it out! :)
-Nin
How about using string.byte(char) for the key in your table? 256 combinations when encoded in the standard char format. A lot more when in utf_8.
You should also split the terrain into chunks, and have the player tell you what each block in the chunk is. line breaks being x and y, while the length is the chunks in that column?

I should probably stop now, that sounds too complicated already. :o:
Hello, I am not dead.
bmelts
Party member

Post by bmelts »

Why use string.byte? Strings are perfectly valid table keys, it seems more intuitive to use them instead of a byte representation.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

And they are locale independent.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

ninwa wrote: Absolutely correct, it would use a tileset table 'g' = grass, etc.
When doing the now abandoned roguelike engine I thought and meditated about do or not in string format like in classical rogues. However I didn't do it for some reasons:
  1. 1 - I didn't want to do a console version of engine but only a graphical tiled version.
  • 2 - The map engine was intended to be random and procedural constructed and not have a fixed designed map so meta-symbol the units wouldn't be much helpful since no "human" map design was required. However for do some kind of vault templates could be useful.
  • 3 - Also a direct tile/number assignment would make engine faster. Parsing string conversion would be one more operation to "slow" down the engine.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

arquivista wrote:I didn't want to do a console version of engine but only a graphical tiled version.
You can map strings to Images/Quads just like you can with numbers. ;)
arquivista wrote:The map engine was intended to be random and procedural constructed and not have a fixed designed map so meta-symbol the units wouldn't be much helpful since no "human" map design was required. However for do some kind of vault templates could be useful.
It could help in debugging though.
arquivista wrote:Also a direct tile/number assignment would make engine faster. Parsing string conversion would be one more operation to "slow" down the engine.
Not if you use strings as keys.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Robin wrote:
arquivista wrote:I didn't want to do a console version of engine but only a graphical tiled version.
You can map strings to Images/Quads just like you can with numbers. ;)
arquivista wrote:The map engine was intended to be random and procedural constructed and not have a fixed designed map so meta-symbol the units wouldn't be much helpful since no "human" map design was required. However for do some kind of vault templates could be useful.
It could help in debugging though.
arquivista wrote:Also a direct tile/number assignment would make engine faster. Parsing string conversion would be one more operation to "slow" down the engine.
Not if you use strings as keys.
Robin, I forgot to answer to this before. Sorry the late response and my ignorance but I don't think I reached well your points about the Quad or use directly the string as keys. About the Quad are you talking of have of alphabet image to be "quad" or there is a direct way of LOVE translate/raster the the strings "a","b", etc to images? And about "use string as keys" can you explain better this point?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

arquivista wrote:Robin, I forgot to answer to this before. Sorry the late response and my ignorance but I don't think I reached well your points about the Quad or use directly the string as keys. About the Quad are you talking of have of alphabet image to be "quad" or there is a direct way of LOVE translate/raster the the strings "a","b", etc to images? And about "use string as keys" can you explain better this point?
Hm, I simply meant that you can have {a = someQuad, b = someOtherQuad} just as well as {someQuad, someOtherQuad}. The difference is that you can use a and b in your map file without having to convert it to a number.
Help us help you: attach a .love.