Unnamed Space RTS

Show off your games, demos and other (playable) creations.
Araqiel
Citizen

Unnamed Space RTS

Post by Araqiel »

Probably a little early in development to be posting this yet, but it's still kinda pretty. And we all know how good Lua is for development speed.

Basically, it's just a star map. There's 25,000 stars in a 20k by 20k pixel square. It's kind of entertaining. There's nothing in the way of "intelligent" generation, they're literally all random. Sizes and colors aren't realistic - they will be in the final game.

My next goal is to create an in-system gamestate (yup, using HUMP, it's a nice library, go use it), which is accessed by selecting a star and clicking a button in the corner or something labeled "Enter System". Or something like that, i really don't know yet. Maybe just double click. Anyway, in-system you'll see planets orbiting the star, and ships flying around between planets and stations.

The RTS part comes in with fleet management. You basically select a number of ships (each one has a power rating and fleets have a max power rating to keep the game balanced) and order them to form a fleet. They group up and you can send them to other systems.

In the scientific explanation sort-of area, every capital ship is equipped with a power emitter and receiver, as well as a jump drive. These jump drives require massive amounts of energy to travel, so single capital ships can only get maybe to the next system. However, large fleets can form a power array, and computer systems distribute power between the ships, allowing large fleets to travel much larger distances. There are certain ships that are basically just powerhouses, and adding them to a fleet can exponentially increase travel distance. But those are expensive.

I do plan to adapt this for multiplayer once I have some more of the basic game mechanics down. I'll add to this post as necessary.

Please hold the flaming - I'm now working much harder on the game and chances are most people aren't going to see this original post before I add on.

And now, a pretty picture!
Attachments
spacerts.love
(27.57 KiB) Downloaded 398 times
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Unnamed Space RTS

Post by Robin »

Pretty indeed. It doesn't do anything yet, right?
Araqiel wrote:Please hold the flaming - I'm now working much harder on the game and chances are most people aren't going to see this original post before I add on.
Aw, I wanted to do the flaming :( :crazy:
You stole my idea! (ok, not really)
Good luck with this project!
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Robin wrote:Pretty indeed. It doesn't do anything yet, right?
Do you count dragging the map around and selecting stars as doing something? Because I do. :joker:
arquivista
No longer with us

Post by arquivista »

Araqiel wrote:Please hold the flaming
Bah! ABC in star name designation? I don't like it! What about NBC? FOX? CBS? CW? Ok this was my pathetic atempt to flame better than Robin...

Well till now seems nice. Good luck for the project. It have a lot of potential. It could be called LOVEcraft... hmmm... ^^
--------------------------------------------------------
To Do: Insert Signature Here
--------------------------------------------------------
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Araqiel wrote:Do you count dragging the map around and selecting stars as doing something? Because I do. :joker:
Nope. I only count interactive, rather than informative, features. ;) now has the same post count as bartbes
Last edited by Robin on Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

I was actually considering making a game creation suite for LOVE called LOVEmaker. But I figured I don't have the time. Ah well. :(

I have also determined that working with LOVE is sort of demeaning:

Code: Select all

require "libraries/AnAL"
require "libraries/LUBE"
require "libraries/MiddleClass"
require "libraries/StringExtensions"
I REQUIRE ANAL LUBE FOR MY MIDDLECLASS CITIZENS WITH EXTENSIONS TO THEIR STRINGS.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

And I am currently rewriting it because the previous code was haphazardly thrown together in a frantic test of some of LOVE's features. Now you can read the code without wanting to gouge your eyes out with a blunt spork. Anyway, I'm now using several different image files and scientifically correct star sizes and colors. That is, a G class star will appear yellow-white, while an O class star will be blue. I've also thrown in the Wolf-Rayet class, which may be used as a mildly entertaining gameplay element (some fictional element will be found in bulk in them which enables the construction of jump-drives, while anywhere else it appears in very minute proportions.)
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

I'm unsatisfied with the speed some of the things I'm trying to do in Lua, for example - networking shouldn't be done in an interpreted language. Not directly anyway. I'm going to integrate RakNet into my own little branch of LOVE - if anyone else wants it, I can separate the integration code and send it on. It's not going to be done for a little while, though.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Araqiel wrote:networking shouldn't be done in an interpreted language.
Please explain.
When I write def I mean function.
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

kikito wrote:
Araqiel wrote:networking shouldn't be done in an interpreted language.
Please explain.
An interpreted language is inherently slower and uses more memory than a native language because of the way things are stored in memory. Especially with Lua, a dynamically typed language - the Lua VM keeps track of the types and everything - it's not just stored as ambiguous binary (disregarding RTTI stuff in C++). I'm not sure if LOVE does JIT compiling or not, but either way - native code is going to be faster and networking can be something that is speed critical.