Here is a screenshot: (the zombie horde was added in Photoshop to show how I want the game to look)
In Game Mockup
The general Idea is to have multiple floors of an office building, at the top of which would be the players love interest (classic save the girl story) in sort of a caged area so shes safe from zombies while you progress through the floors, but if you don't save her she cant leave. As you continue through each of the floors you will encounter zombies, a lot of them. I have Ideas for stronger enemies and stronger weapons as well.
We also play with the assumption that the player is a champion marksman and can land head-shots every time.
My intention is to have several weapons for the player to use. They would get better as you make your way through the floors. Starting with a pistol on the first floor and gradually progressing towards machine guns. Grenades may or may not be a good idea depending on how difficult the hordes get, and If I would be able to program them. The weapons I have in mind now are:
- - Starting Pistol (USP, Glock, or something of the like)
- Pump Shotgun (Stronger than the auto)
- Auto Shotgun (Faster than the pump)
- Grenades (Possible)
- Eventuality of "special" weapons
- Cinematics (obviously going to be an issue since love doesn't handle video, so Ill create the animations frame by frame and add audio in love which wont be hard since pixel-art animation will be mostly tweening)
The general idea is to keep this as close to classic zombies as possible. Zombies should be slow and stupid, not like the ones in the new resident evil games where they are just genetically mutated geniuses. That being said, I would still like to have zombies that pose a challenge, either faster, or with a higher health so that take more hits. I may just keep it to slow zombies, tank zombies, and keep the hordes expanding so that the challenge comes from the sheer amount of zombies.
I hope to have a catchy 8-Bit soundtrack composed by myself or by a friend of mine who is heavily into music production as well as 8-Bit sound effects for everything.
So far I have a lot of the basics completed (thanks to the forum guru's). I have a basic level, a single enemy, bounding boxes, and a few other things completed. Here is a short list of things that I have left to do:
- - Gamestates for the main menu, and different floors (already know how to do this, just need to do it)
- Weapon system (not started, but I have a general Idea of how it works)
- Hordes (also have an idea of how it would work, but not started yet)
- Sprites for a lot of things, I intend to have the floors fully-furnished
- Music and Sound effects (have some finished already, but saving this for the end since it's not an issue)
- Extensive "special-thanks" screen big enough to hold Robin's name and several others that have helped me thus far
- Diagonal walking, jumping and running (all of which are easy though time consuming at this stage)
Thanks for the help everyone, I would also like to hear what you guys would like to see from this. So let me know!
The Love File
Update 11/08/10 - I added a basic menu.