Forum Super Project - ÖRGY

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Araqiel
Citizen

Forum Super Project - ÖRGY

Post by Araqiel »

Goals: Create a fun game while bringing the community closer, bring some attention to LÖVE.
Budget: Flexible (for the most part)
Game idea: To be decided
The Team:
  • Project Coordinator/Programmer - Araqiel
  • Programmer - slime
  • Programmer - SoggyWaffles
Last edited by Araqiel on Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Forum Super Project

Post by slime »

Why all the MMO suggestions? For a persistent world wouldn't we need to host our own servers?

/ sounds fun, I'll do it! :D

I like space games the best, but that's just me. I know at least a few people who would love something similar to a multiplayer EV:N.

I might be able to get my friend to make some graphics/art, although he's not the most reliable person out there.
Araqiel
Citizen

Re: Forum Super Project - ÖRGY

Post by Araqiel »

Not sure, it just seems like the most popular type of game out there right now, and we're going to need something big to get LOVE some notoriety. I'm sure that we could figure out servers. I can personally handle the brunt of it, if this takes off.
Ertain
Citizen

Post by Ertain »

MMOs are nice, but we need something simple, something that people can join in, yet also isn't so difficult to code (unless you wish to write up thousands of lines of code ;) ). How about something that the player makes, and other people can edit? Perhaps their little space, or even their own little world. Hey, it worked for Animal Crossing and Farmville.
Booted, suited, and ready to get executed.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ertain wrote:MMOs are nice, but we need something simple, something that people can join in, yet also isn't so difficult to code (unless you wish to write up thousands of lines of code ;) ). How about something that the player makes, and other people can edit? Perhaps their little space, or even their own little world. Hey, it worked for Animal Crossing and Farmville.
Sounds good to me. A space game like that would be sweet, where everyone has their own little planet, on which they can place buildings, get resources, and so on. I guess it would be sort of be like Farmville in space (without the farm theme).
Araqiel
Citizen

Post by Araqiel »

Hm, well, the problem is, those games aren't desktop programs. They're either on a handheld platform, a console, or browser games. Meaning they attract a different audience. I'm not saying desktop gamers don't like those types of games, it's just that we couldn't expect it to be quite as successful as a more complex game would be.

However, my space "MMO" idea did have those sorts of elements. You would be able to build an orbital station around a planet and build it up with resources bought from other stations, mined from asteroids, or mined from the planet itself.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

If you're interested in community efforts, you may want to look at A Whiff of Steam, which is just that. It has been stagnant for a while, though.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
tentus
Inner party member

Post by tentus »

What about a fighting game, like Indie Brawl (which is like Smash Bros in turn). Create a system by which members of the community can develop characters that the project coordinator can put into an official build. The characters could be caricatures of ourselves or perhaps crossovers of our various games.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Adding to the list of ideas, a multiplayer tank game sort of like a 2D version of BZFlag might be cool.
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

tentus wrote:What about a fighting game, like Indie Brawl (which is like Smash Bros in turn). Create a system by which members of the community can develop characters that the project coordinator can put into an official build. The characters could be caricatures of ourselves or perhaps crossovers of our various games.
This.

It would be amazingly cool.