Debug - A whole new way of debugging your game

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Debug - A whole new way of debugging your game

Post by Ranguna259 »

Added a little something that'll allow you to jump to the bottom of the console after you provide a command.

Changelog
Version 1.2.4 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • Added a new functionality that jumps you to the last output in the conole when you provide a command
Version 1.2.3 (Not Official) by Walz.
  • Fixed a font related bug
Version 1.2.2 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • Added a new functionality that enables you to jump right to the bottom of the console by pressing the middle mouse button.
Version 1.2.1 (Not Official) by Qcode
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Added a new functionality that autocompletes the variable to the current proposal by pressing tab
Version 1.2 (Not Official) by Qcode
  • Converted to LÖVE 0.8.0
  • Added a new functionality that enables you to change the 'f8' key to what you want by changing the _lovedebugpresskey='the key you want'
Version 1.1.5
  • Added Shift + F8 console opening, the old one still remains (Thank you miko)
  • Everything except for settings (which has its own global table) is now put into the local table _Debug (Thank you tentus)
Version 1.1
  • Fixed the console to be hidden at the start
  • Added _OverlayColor to global settings (see _Settings() for a list of settings) Changed location as of 1.1.5 to _DebugSettings.Settings()
Version 1.0
  • Initial version
Attachments
lovedebug.lua
Version 1.2.4 (Not Official)
You'll now be jumped to the last output when providing a command
(13.07 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Redshft
Prole

Post by Redshft »

Is there a feature list for this anywhere? Does it just print out values or can I actually inspect values in my script?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

You can inspect,change and basicly do anything else except adding code to you script, you can use all lua/löve commands right in-game
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Redshft
Prole

Post by Redshft »

How would I inspect and change variables? Is there an example/tutorial of this anywhere for this script?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Hummm.. You could learn lua.. All you need to do is to press ctrl+f8 and type away.
To see de contents of a var you do :

Code: Select all

print(var)
to change the var you do:

var='whatever'
This is basic lua :|

Check out my twitter.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

So, this seems completely and utterly incredible. But I have a few questions:

Is there a way of changing the hot-key(s) for accessing the debug menu?

Is there a way to disable it, other than not requiring it, I mean? Like only make it accessible if a certain option is true?

How do I select a suggestion? I mean, when I type 'p', it might suggest 'print', but how do I select it? Can I even select it?

Is there a way to change the font it uses? I can't see a way to do it.

Other than that, thanks for continuing this! It's amazing! So easy to use!
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

1. Yep, see more here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2473&start=60#p95840
2. I don't think there is, if you really want that you can code it into the lua file and upload it here or you could wait for someone else to implement it.
3. You press TAB for that, see more here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2473&start=60#p96358
4. I think Walz. removed that to fix a bug, see more here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2473&start=60#p114824 and here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2473&start=60#p114887

You are welcome but remember that it isn't just me that is continuing this, it's everyone, so if you have implemented anything into the code don't forget to upload it here.
Since the OP stopped updating the debuger I've decided to do the Unofficial changelogs because we can't just let this awesome debuger go to waste so help us helping you to help us all ( by contributing to the source code whenever you can too ;) )

Check out my twitter.
Redshft
Prole

Post by Redshft »

Ranguna259 wrote:Hummm.. You could learn lua.. All you need to do is to press ctrl+f8 and type away.
To see de contents of a var you do :

print(var)
to change the var you do:

var='whatever'
This is basic lua :|
I know lua. There just wasn't any explanation as to how this console is supposed to work. There isn't any explanation as to whether you can change local variables, or what kind of scope this console can access.
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

No I don't think it can change local variables, you can try it, I've never really tried doing that, I'm sorry that I can't give you more technical info I'm not the creator of the code :P
But try it :megagrin:

Check out my twitter.
Eamonn
Party member

Post by Eamonn »

Well... this isn't anything major, but something that annoyed me was that you couldn't hold in a key and it would preform that action. So for example if I held down "Enter" or "Return", it wouldn't keep going to a new line. I'd have to keep pressing it. I didn't like that, so I decided to add 1 line of code to enable key repeat. Why did no one think to do this? xD I guess this would be V1.2.5! Happy debugging!
Attachments
lovedebug.lua
lovedebug V1.2.5
(13.11 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
"In those quiet moments, you come into my mind" - Liam Reilly