Debug - A whole new way of debugging your game

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ranguna259
Party member

Re: Debug - A whole new way of debugging your game

Post by Ranguna259 »

Now the code'll automaticly update itself if it's changed and if _DebugSettings.LiveAuto is set to true.

Changelog
Version 1.3.1 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • By setting _DebugSettings.LiveAuto to true the code will automaticly reload itself when it's modified.
Version 1.3 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • Converted to LÖVE 0.9.0
  • To jump to the bottom of the console you now have to press lCtrl+middle mouse buttons instead of just the middle mouse button.
  • You can now do code hotswapping by accessing the console and by pressing the F5 button.
  • Added two new variables to _DebugSettings, 'LiveFile' and 'LiveReset', see _DebugSettings.Settings() for more information.
Version 1.2.9 (Not Official) by Robin
  • Some more cleaning up of the code.
  • Fixes auto-complete options not being reset in certain conditions.
  • Adds a command history, navigatable with up and down arrow keys. This conflicts with selection of auto-complete options, but you can force history navigation by using shift+up and shift+down.
  • Reworks error-checking in entered commands. A nice benefit is that the [string "possibly a long command"]:1: part no longer shows up, which just duplicated something that was printed right before.
Version 1.2.8 (Not Official) by Robin
  • Improves _Debug.findLocation (including: no more loadstring, no __index side-effects, finding object:methods).
  • Improves _Debug.updateProposals (only valid identifiers are proposed, keywords are proposed if there is no preceding . or :).
  • Adds support for the home and end keys.
  • Cleans up some dead code.
  • Now only allows you to enter characters in ASCII, because the rest of the library handles non-ASCII unicode very poorly.
  • Auto-complete now works when inserting text in the middle instead of only at the end.
  • Up and down change which auto-complete option you're going to select.
  • Much better drawn auto-complete options.
  • Suppresses auto-complete when in the middle of an identifier.
Version 1.2.7 (Not Official) by Robin
  • Brings back keyRepeat, in a way that doesn't interfere with the game.
  • Fixes printing multiple things in 3 ways (see if you can find them all!).
  • Syntax errors in commands now get a sensible error message.
  • Tab completion now only done when the overlay is visible.
  • Removes a useless loop in _Debug.findLocation.
  • Uses multiple argument form of love.keyboard.isDown in _Debug.handleKey.
Version 1.2.6 (Not Official) by Robin
  • Removes keyRepeat, because that shit's evil.
  • Fixes "double click" bug.
  • Fixes indentation.
Version 1.2.5 (Not Official) by Eamonn
  • We now have repetitive keyboard behavior, AWESOME
Version 1.2.4 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • Added a new functionality that jumps you to the last output in the conole when you provide a command
Version 1.2.3 (Not Official) by Walz.
  • Fixed a font related bug
Version 1.2.2 (Not Official) by Ranguna259
  • Added a new functionality that enables you to jump right to the bottom of the console by pressing the middle mouse button.
Version 1.2.1 (Not Official) by Qcode
  • Fixed some bugs
  • Added a new functionality that autocompletes the variable to the current proposal by pressing tab
Version 1.2 (Not Official) by Qcode
  • Converted to LÖVE 0.8.0
  • Added a new functionality that enables you to change the 'f8' key to what you want by changing the _lovedebugpresskey='the key you want'
Version 1.1.5
  • Added Shift + F8 console opening, the old one still remains (Thank you miko)
  • Everything except for settings (which has its own global table) is now put into the local table _Debug (Thank you tentus)
Version 1.1
  • Fixed the console to be hidden at the start
  • Added _OverlayColor to global settings (see _Settings() for a list of settings) Changed location as of 1.1.5 to _DebugSettings.Settings()
Version 1.0
  • Initial version
Attachments
lovedebug.lua
(16.51 KiB) Downloaded 458 times
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Augusto_Moura
Prole

Post by Augusto_Moura »

Hi guys,
I have taken the latest version by Ranguna259 and modified it a little bit to look like Grit Engine console and added some other ideas, i don't know if someone would like it, but..:

Changes:
* Tab for open/close console, also completes proposals when they are available (fast than pressing two keys)
* The console have more translucency and uses only half screen (more subtle)
* Added Ctrl+V to paste text from clipboard
* When you close console, you still can see "print" outputs, and it dissapears after 5 seconds since last call

I didn't read the whole post, so sorry if I can't share it here :o:
Attachments
lovedebug.lua
(17.17 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Hello, the unnoficial versions of this tool actualy have their own post. It's repo is currently maintained by me on github and anyone can pull requests.
All that aside, sorry but I won't be merging your file with it's current github version, because:
  • Tab is a popular key to be used inside games so it'd be incompatible with the games that use it, this can be solved by adding an option in _DebugSettings table to change the current console activation keys. (Issue #8)
  • The console's transparency and size have been like this since the very first official version so if someone were to add/change something about either of these properties it would be to add an option to change them in the _DebugSettings table and not change them to something else entirely.
  • LoveDebug already has this.
  • Again, lovedebug already has this but it currently has a problem when print is called a lot of times, this causes the screen to be filled with prints and it also causes the game to slow down.
You are very welcome to check Lovedebug's current status on github and improve it as you wish, feel free to pull requests.
LoveDebug- A library that will help you debug your game with an on-screen fully interactive lua console, you can even do code hotswapping :D

Check out my twitter.
Augusto_Moura
Prole

Post by Augusto_Moura »

Cool, i will try this version from github
thank you :)
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

You are welcome :)

Check out my twitter.
Zireael
Party member

Post by Zireael »

Does this work with the newest version of love?
Ranguna259
Party member

Post by Ranguna259 »

Zireael wrote:Does this work with the newest version of love?
I really don't know, but this one does ;)

Check out my twitter.