LOVE Cheat Sheet (1.0)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Re: LOVE Cheat Sheet

Post by Jasoco »

Robin wrote:Maybe your SDL version doesn't support X1 and X2?
That doesn't work for me on OS X. It says "No such file or directory". This is a MacBook Pro with OS X.

Edit: By Grepping the SDL.framework folder inside Löve.app (0.7.1) I get this: (Edited to make room)

Code: Select all

../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_LEFT		1
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_MIDDLE	2
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_RIGHT	3
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_WHEELUP	4
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_WHEELDOWN	5
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_X1		6
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_X2		7
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_LMASK	SDL_BUTTON(SDL_BUTTON_LEFT)
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_MMASK	SDL_BUTTON(SDL_BUTTON_MIDDLE)
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_RMASK	SDL_BUTTON(SDL_BUTTON_RIGHT)
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_X1MASK	SDL_BUTTON(SDL_BUTTON_X1)
../SDL.framework/Versions/A/Headers/SDL_mouse.h:#define SDL_BUTTON_X2MASK	SDL_BUTTON(SDL_BUTTON_X2)
There are X1 and X2 buttons it seems. (BTW, I can get it to recognize a middle-click by using the BTT gesture set up to send middleclick, which on my system is four-finger click. I just don't know how to get X1 or X2.)
And it would be neat, although it's best to find some way to do the same without horizontal scrolling, since not everyone has that.
Not everyone has scrolling period. If you're gonna support scrolling of any kind, you should support all directions since a lot of mice these days that have a wheel have some way of doing horizontal. Magic Mice have a ball that can go any direction. My old MX1000 has a wheel that clicks left and right for its horizontal scroll. Some mice even have two wheels. I could do so much with the ability to scroll any of the four directions.

Löve needs to shed its "Well, not everyone would have this feature so let's not support it" mentality. If they were serious, they wouldn't even support framebuffers or would still automatically convert PO2 images since not everyone can support Framebuffers and not everyone has a graphics card that requires PO2 images. (The PO2 thing being the reason for a lot of topics popping up with "why can't I see the images?")

Not everyone has a joystick, but Löve still supports them. I don't have a joystick. If someone made a game that used them, I would hope they'd also allow me to use my arrow keys or WSAD. And if they didn't, that's what feedback and replying to topics is for.

It's all up to the programmer to figure out alternative methods for supporting people without the right equipment. Let the designer decide whether or not to use the feature. At least put it in as an option.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Jasoco wrote:There are X1 and X2 buttons it seems. (BTW, I can get it to recognize a middle-click by using the BTT gesture set up to send middleclick, which on my system is four-finger click. I just don't know how to get X1 or X2.)
Hm, that's annoying. I really don't know what you could do about this.
Jasoco wrote:<rant>
Wow, where did that come from all the sudden? I love how you, near the end, state exactly what I was saying (or at least, what I intended to say).
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Anyone got any comments on this post?
BlackBulletIV wrote:Alright I've updated the cheat sheet quite a bit. Page 2 is near complete. I've added an "Events" section, which contains the Event enum and love.event. Second, since a number of people want more enums, I've included all the graphics enums! Enjoy!

Edit for most recent update: I've finished page 2 by adding the core classes (Object and Data). Page 3 is almost full too now. I've added all the data manipulation stuff, the joysticks, and the threads. I've also added the FileDecoder enum. I think everything's in there, except for physics, which will be a separate cheat sheet or at least page.

Suggestions on how to fill the bottom of page 3 anyone?
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

How about making the name argument optional in love.thread.getThread, instead of having two variants? That might clean things up a bit.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Probably a good idea. At the time I thought that they did two different things, but I guess they don't really. They both return threads, it's just that not giving a name returns a different thread.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Yeah, basically the thread name defaults to the current thread's name. (Not really, that's just what it's supposed to simulate.)
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Ah ok.

Ok, I've added a bottom section with some info like license, which API it's based, the year, and my name. It's also got a couple tips that newbies often stumble over. And finally it's got a couple of hints on how to read the thing.

There's just a little bit of space left on page 3. Almost done!
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Re: LOVE Cheat Sheet (1.0)

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Alright guys. 1.0 is released! It's a full three pages, containing most everything except physics (which will come later on as a separate cheat sheet most likely). Enjoy!
TechnoCat
Inner party member

Post by TechnoCat »

I don't understand the background colors. Why is most everything blue? And timer and graphics are green right next to each other.
Also, what is this data manipulation section? Extraneous modules?
How come AUDIO doesn't have a "New Objects" section?
Why is the SOURCE class included in audio, but graphics doesn't have its classes included?
Maybe graphics should just have its own page. I understand you are trying to keep the most vital things on the front page though. It just might be at a cost of keeping uniform organization.

I like where this is going, but I'm having trouble finding things on it.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Thanks for the feedback.

1. If you look closer, you'll notice that blue is used on the left side, green is used on the right side, and brown is used on the bottom (all light colours of course). Nevertheless, I might mix up the colour arrangement a bit if it helps.
2. Data manipulation is about the modules which deal with raw data, as in love.font, love.image, and love.sound.
3. Because love.audio only creates one type of object, and because it doesn't have a boatload of functions in it. love.graphics does have a lot of functions, and it does create a number of different objects.
4. You're right. Things do need rearranging. I've started on it now.