UnLöve: Zombie Survival [Alpha?!?!]

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Lafolie
Inner party member

UnLöve: Zombie Survival [Alpha?!?!]

Post by Lafolie »

The latest version has a menu with basic functionality which means you can start/end/play a game pretty seamlessly. It's getting quite solid now. The gameover screen will ask for a name for highscores, though the score is not saved just yet. Scroll down for the complete changelog.
Newest stuff: Menus! Vastly improved attack mechanics/damage. Better (more!) scoring. Fancier title screen. Much better player movements. More sound effects. Fancy title screen effects.

Also, there's now a development blog, which you can find at http://lafoliedev.tumblr.com

UnLove015.love
menus implemented
(2.46 MiB) Downloaded 980 times
Special thanks to slime and sharpobject for their support. :nyu:

I've been working on this for the last few days. I've gotta say, it does resemble Gnx's (awesome) HeroSquare game a little too much at the moment. I don't mean to rip him off, it will change alot no doubt. Obviously, it's called UnLöve because it's about undead things made in Löve.... ha.

This game is basically a zombie survival affair. Stay alive, get points, blah blah. You start off with a knife, but there is a short sword to pickup straight away (for now). The short sword is good for 35 hits, represented by the bar beneath the weapon name in the HUD. When it runs out you're left with the knife, which has unlimited uses. Unless of course, you manage to find other weapons that the zombies drop! There are currently a total of 6 weapons, including the knife. They're all blades at current, though they do differ somewhat.

The gameplay is pretty basic at the moment, but it's fun to waste a few minutes on. It's now alot more playable than earlier versions, and there's music and sounds etc... funfunfun. As far as scores go... my average when testing is about 1000 points, but I do tend to just run at them like a maniac. And hey, the gameplay might be playable, but I have found that you can derive a few different strategies, however basic they may be, which is cool.

Screenshots of post-apocalyptic goodness:
pqAHc.png
pqAHc.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 814 times
(That is bartbes' screenshot. You can tell because it stands out from the rest. :P)

Old screenshots:

In-Game Controls:
  • Arrows: Move
  • Space: Attack
  • Right-Shift: Switch Weapon
  • Escape: Quit to title (new!)
Menu Controls
[*]Arrows Up/Down: Move cursor
[*]Return: Confirm
[*]F1: Toggle Audio
[*]F8: Toggle Blood (title screen only)[/list]

Yep. Those little green squares are zombies. And they're out to get you... Mr WhiteSquareyPlaceholderyMan. Some of them will chase you. It's probably best to kill them first.

If you played/enjoyed it, please let me know your scores/opinions/suggestions/criticisms/comments!

Have fun! x

Updates
Considering proper changelog.txt
Menus implemented. Currently only new game and quit have functionality.
Gameplay can be paused. (with return key)
Quit to title at any time.

Normalised player movement (woo!).
More sound effects.
When attacking, ammo is only reduced by 1 no matter how many targets are hit.
Weapon ammo increased slightly.
Player takes damage properly.
Player now has invincibility period.
Players/zombies indicate damage/invincibility period via flashing.
Items increase score.
Survival increases score (time bonus).
Title screen text and drips fade. Text returns with any keystroke.

Title screen drips.
Minor graphics overhaul (ha).

Title screen image.
Title screen sounds (for toggling options).
Gameover screen image.

Altered drop system.
Added Scramasax: powerful dagger.
Added ????????: Powerful sword.
Some new sound effects.

Between 1 and 5 zombies spawn at a time now.
Up to 50 zombies on-screen.
Fixed collision somewhat. Game is now much more playable.
Added 3 new weapons, dropped by zombies.
More sound effects.
Title screen (albeit simple for now).
Can toggle framebuffers off (lazy solution, I know).
Can toggle blood to not use framebuffers (low setting).
Can toggle music/sound on/off.
Better HP management.

Items implemented.
Health kit added. Increases HP by 25%.

Fixed low health sfx bug.
Shows your score on the game-over screen.
Added low health sound effect.
Fancy flashing health text.

First upload

Last edited by Lafolie on Sat May 21, 2011 11:24 am, edited 29 times in total.
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Re: Unlove: Zombie Survival

Post by Robin »

Nice idea.

Some of the things I'd work on if I were you:
I feel a bit too powerless playing this game. I can't seem to try and fight the zombies without getting killed. Also, it's annoying you have to walk in the direction of a zombie to stab it. If you're too close, you just get killed. As you start taking damage, you start jumping all over the place, which makes it even more difficult to hit a zombie.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
baby_nux
Prole

Post by baby_nux »

i got this:

my vga driver not support framebuffer :death:
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Robin wrote:Nice idea.

Some of the things I'd work on if I were you:
I feel a bit too powerless playing this game. I can't seem to try and fight the zombies without getting killed. Also, it's annoying you have to walk in the direction of a zombie to stab it. If you're too close, you just get killed. As you start taking damage, you start jumping all over the place, which makes it even more difficult to hit a zombie.
Yup. I need to work on the collision detection stuff. As for the incredibly short range... I guess I could increase the size of the knife, but I'd rather make another weapon, say, a sword or an axe and have the knife be the really crappy weapon, the short straw if you will. Hrmm... all good, all good. I'll go and work on this!

Oh, and I'll try and see what I can do about the framebuffer thing!
Do you recognise when the world won't stop for you? Or when the days don't care what you've got to do? When the weight's too tough to lift up, what do you? Don't let them choose for you, that's on you.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Maybe you could have the weapons to be somewhat balanced? For example, the knife does a lot of damage but is very short, the axe does little damage but reaches further, something like that. Maybe throw-able weapons?
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Robin wrote:the axe does little damage
I'm not sure if you've ever compared axe-wounds and knife-wounds..
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

I know it's not the most realistic way to depict axes and knifes, but I'll take fun over realism any time. :P
nevon
Commander of the Circuloids

Post by nevon »

bartbes wrote:
Robin wrote:the axe does little damage
I'm not sure if you've ever compared axe-wounds and knife-wounds..
Have you ever been stabbed with an axe?
Lafolie
Inner party member

Post by Lafolie »

Well now I've gotta make at least a throwing axe, a battle axe and a secret-stabby-axe-of-doom!

To fix the framebuffer thing I'm making the the blood effect optional since that's what I'm currently using framebuffers for. It's a shame to turn it off though... it looks cool and I spent alot of time writing it. I might rewrite the code so that you can have a 'reduced-gore' option too that just clears the blood off the screen when if would usually be rasterised.

But yeah.... currently working on some sort of title screen and options, and then I'm gonna sort the collision and health out (at the moment HP loss doesn't take dt into acount.... ahaha! :joker: ).

Oh, and, keep the weapon suggestions coming, I'm unsure whether to use guns, magick, or what. This is a sort of freeform project to practice using Löve really.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Hello,

Just for you information load() is a standard lua function.
You should not overwrite it :D

you could modify like :

Code: Select all

--[[
        MAIN LOAD SCRIPT
]]--

mygame = {}
function mygame.load()
end
and use :

Code: Select all

--load
function love.load()
        mygame.load()
end
My 2 cents ;)
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)