LÖVETree, a LÖVE IDE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
agent
Prole

LÖVETree, a LÖVE IDE

Post by agent »

Greetings, I am new around here. I've recently been learning Lua and LÖVE, and wanted an editor tied to the LÖVE documentation. I didn't find one (then again, I didn't look that hard) so I set out to create one. Mainly for myself, but I thought, hey, maybe someone else might find it useful.

I haven't gotten nearly to the feature set I would like yet, but I would still like to hear some input (partly to see if there might be any interest, if there is none it's probably easier for me to just keep this in-house).

Features:
Syntax highlighting (and line folding and basic auto-completion)
Easy access to LÖVE wiki (right-click on a LÖVE keyword and choose Wiki for... to go the wiki page for that keyword)
Shows synopsis from LÖVE wiki when hovering over a LÖVE keyword
Search all .lua files of a project
Dynamically reloads the project folder, so if you change something (like adding a file to your project folder in Explorer) it will show up
Other cool stuff

Features I would like to add:
Search and replace all .lua files of a project (not hard to add, will probably come soon)
Get list of keywords, callbacks etc from LÖVE wiki (right now, the list is in the lua.xml file, only the synopsis is downloaded from the wiki)
Improved file handling in the Tree view (moving, copying, importing etc)
Only reload project folder if there is an actual change
Perhaps a debugger?

There is almost no documentation yet, but if you have any questions on how to do something please ask.
This might not be a tool for the LÖVE expert, but I think it might be handy for those learning LÖVE (at least a few releases from now).

Currently, only for Windows, sorry Mac and Linux users - I haven't had access to a Mac or Linux for awhile, so I have only tested much earlier builds. If you want to test untested builds for Mac or Linux, send me a PM.

Download here:
https://sites.google.com/site/loevetree/downloads
tentus
Inner party member

Re: LÖVETree, a LÖVE IDE

Post by tentus »

Very cool. It looks like Ctrl-Z is broken, along with Ctrl-C (Paste works just fine though). Searching the whole project yields results, but also produces a popup claiming that there are no results. This popup had to be killed via the task manager. I'm on a Windows XP machine, Sp3, 3.8 ghz Intel P4 processor.

I'm really interested where this will go, it seems like a great tool for a beginner.
Kurosuke needs beta testers
Kadoba
Party member

Post by Kadoba »

Wow, good job. Like tentus said, Ctrl+C and Ctrl+Z is broken but so is ctrl+V for me.
agent
Prole

Post by agent »

Thanks for trying it out and reporting those bugs.
I've uploaded a new release which should fix them.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Can't you upload the source for us? I'm on Linux and I'm not necessarily interested in testing untested builds, but I do like to browse the source, see what is happening under the hood.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
ishkabible
Party member

Post by ishkabible »

what GUI lib did you use? it looks top notch :)
agent
Prole

Post by agent »

ishkabible wrote:what GUI lib did you use? it looks top notch :)
It's written in REALStudio, a decent language with a decent framework (but it's heavy on the resources, both memory and processing cycles).
Robin wrote:Can't you upload the source for us? I'm on Linux and I'm not necessarily interested in testing untested builds, but I do like to browse the source, see what is happening under the hood.
I am currently in the process of rewriting major parts of it, the project started as a simple hack - and the code evolved along those lines. There are many parts I don't like, so I am rewriting them. After that is done, I will release the source.

Kind regards
LarkSS
Prole

Post by LarkSS »

This IDE is great, especially how it grabs information directly from the wiki. I've decided to use it for development and am looking forward to future updates!

I've noticed a bug with the autocomplete. It seems to stop autocompleting when encountering a word that has an uppercase letter in it. For example, when typing in "love.timer.getTime", the autocomplete stops at "love.timer.get". It will also not show the input variables even after completely typing out the function in this particular case.

As a feature request, it would be handy if selecting "Open Recent" from the intro window brought up all of the tabs you had open before last closing LÖVETree.
BlackBulletIV
Inner party member

Post by BlackBulletIV »

Robin wrote:Can't you upload the source for us? I'm on Linux and I'm not necessarily interested in testing untested builds, but I do like to browse the source, see what is happening under the hood.
Me too.
bitlord
Prole

Post by bitlord »

just use scite ;)