Vapor - LÖVE Distribution Client

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
slime
Solid Snayke

Re: Vapor - LÖVE Distribution Client

Post by slime »

Jasoco wrote:I'm curious. What's the official way of retrieving the version of Löve that is currently running the .love file you're in. Is there a love.version global or something? I was using a hacky "if love.window then" to figure out if it's being run in 0.8.0 or 0.9.0 for my current project so it could take advantage of 9 things when available. But was wondering if there was an official way.
In 0.8.0 and above, you can use these. I forget how it worked in 0.7.2 and below.

Code: Select all

print(love._version) -- Full version string, e.g. "0.9.0".

if love._version_major > 0 then
    print("Holy shit, we're at love 1.0 at least!")
end

if love._version_major == 0 and love._version_minor == 9 then
    print("This is version 0.9.x")
end

print(love._version_revision) -- The revision number: the '2' in 0.7.2.
master both
Party member

Post by master both »

slime wrote:
Jasoco wrote:I'm curious. What's the official way of retrieving the version of Löve that is currently running the .love file you're in. Is there a love.version global or something? I was using a hacky "if love.window then" to figure out if it's being run in 0.8.0 or 0.9.0 for my current project so it could take advantage of 9 things when available. But was wondering if there was an official way.
In 0.8.0 and above, you can use these. I forget how it worked in 0.7.2 and below.

print(love._version) -- Full version string, e.g. "0.9.0".

if love._version_major > 0 then
    print("Holy shit, we're at love 1.0 at least!")
end

if love._version_major == 0 and love._version_minor == 9 then
    print("This is version 0.9.x")
end

print(love._version_revision) -- The revision number: the '2' in 0.7.2.
This should be documented in the wiki, as well as love._os. Is there any other secret variable you want to talk abut?
szensk
Party member

Post by szensk »

Undocumented? things. Some of these are probably documented.

love._version_codename: string
love._os: string
love._modules: table
love.arg: table
love._version_revision: number
love._openConsole: function
love._exe: boolean
love._version_compat: table
love._version_minor: number
love._version_major: number
love._version: string
love.createhandlers: function
love.path: table
love.boot: function
love.handlers: table
love.nogame: function
love._version_codename: string
crow
Party member

Post by crow »

Since love is built on lua I am sure you could make a simple switch that would support older versions, in my eyes.
should be down to the dev what version they used or us, a simple option to have dev include a link to download that versions bin, its not hard or out of the way to offer older game support.

I am not saying what Vapor is not good I just would of thought thing kind of support would of been there since like many of us know versions change and if Vapor can't support a version it could still offer means for it to be listed and played with that little extra :)

Keep up the good work anyway.
Sir Kittenface
Möko IDE Codename (Erös) Returns Soon

I am dyslexic so if any of my replys confusing please just ask me to reword it as this will make things a lot easier for all parties lol.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

crow wrote:Tho I like your app I don't like the fact you push people to have to use 0.8 I know a few examples a friend and I made what was 0.7 and it would mean we had to convert, I sure you could make it work with both versions.
This is something that was in the grandiose plan of vapor. In the json, although the flag is unused, you'll notice "love-0.8.0". That's in there with the hope that someday we can have "love-0.7.2" and "love-0.9.0" flags in there as well. It's a "planned" feature, just not implemented, as we don't know the best way to do it yet.
crow wrote:Also I don't see why you are making people only use love libs this defeats the point of lua if the user has to host there own game shouldn't it be up to them what they include in there game?
While you cannot use binary modules (we want to keep this cross platform!) you can use lua modules.

I will assume you don't know the difference (if you do, please disregard, this is for anyone else who doesn't);

A binary module is one compiled for the specific platform (win,osx,lin) whereas a lua module is just a collection of lua. You are more than encouraged to use Lua modules, but I can't support using binary modules. It makes more sense to just use the stock version of love with the liblove and luasocket2.
Germanunkol wrote:The sweet thing about the code right now is that the Vapor runs the games with the version of love which is used to run Vapor... this way it auto-detects the love version installed, on all systems.
Figuring out how to find the binary of love that runs vapor wasn't hard ( <3 slime ). The tricky part is to find the binary for the other versions of love (unless we have vapor download the love binaries as well, which may just happen.)
Robin wrote:Plus 0.7.2 is pretty outdated: it was released over two years ago. And 0.9.0 will be released soon, quickly making 0.8.0 obsolete.
This is true, and is one reason why I'm hesitant to add 0.7.2. But to be fair there were a lot of good games for 0.7.2, and when 0.9.0 comes out, we can't just discard all the 0.8.0 games. While I want to support 0.9.0, I also want to support older versions.
crow wrote:kind of support would of been there since like many of us know versions change and if Vapor can't support a version it could still offer means for it to be listed and played with that little extra :)
I would very much like to support all versions of love :)
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

josefnpat wrote: Figuring out how to find the binary of love that runs vapor wasn't hard ( <3 slime ). The tricky part is to find the binary for the other versions of love (unless we have vapor download the love binaries as well, which may just happen.)
How about this:
Don't include the executables. But as soon as the player tries to download a game with a different version, pop up a box "requires extra modules. download now?" If "yes" is clicked, then the love executables are downloaded for the current OS only (love._os), and stored in the appdata directory. Then this binary can be used to run the game.
Additionally, a variable is saved to make sure that vapor now knows that the other version of love is installed, and where it was unpacked, so in the future, games with that version can be run without downloading the binary again.
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Update (Yes, I've been busy!)

* Thanks to the help from Yonaba, we added Ouroboros to vapor!

Update 2

* Added Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne

Update 3

* Added WarpRun

Update 4

* Added tool tips
* Fixed some bugs
* Added slime's Snayke demo!

Update 5

* Added downloads tab!
* New release! 0.2.1

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git push
Roland_Yonaba
Inner party member

Post by Roland_Yonaba »

Wow. There was a lot of issues opened/closed today. I had the feeling something huge was coming.
Great! It just works fine.

Note: I was considering opening this issue. :roll:
p38XGJb.jpg
p38XGJb.jpg (61.01 KiB) Viewed 303 times
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Roland_Yonaba wrote:Wow. There was a lot of issues opened/closed today. I had the feeling something huge was coming.
Great! It just works fine.

Note: I was considering opening this issue. :roll:
MORE GAMES, MORE FEATURES, MORE INVASION OF PRIVACY.

Wait ... nevermind.

Update

* Added child of winter
* Fixed the client when the machine was offline.
* Added a "force_local" flag. You can now `vapor_<hash>.love force_local` to force it to first use the stored `games.json`, and then the internal `games.json`

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git push
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Vapor would hand somewhere halfway through downloading "Four" game. Haven't tried the others.