Programmer needed for a retro-style RTS.

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
aronallen
Prole

Programmer needed for a retro-style RTS.

Post by aronallen »

Hi,

I am just starting to get into LÖVE, and all in all it's a really cool tool, though i have no experience with programming so things seem to proceed quite slowly.

I want to learn LÖVE so i can make a prototype of a strategy RTS i am planning, this prototype will then be showed to some of my contacts, who then can get it running on various platforms, with focus on iPhone and iPod touch. (an optimized c++/obj-c version, with SPEED!)

Tough I really want to make this myself, I must admit that i am more a designer/manager, than a programmer, so I need a programmer to assist me with this prototype.

I will offer the programmer 50% of the income and IP that I negotiate with my C friends (example. my C friends get 50% i get 25% you get 25%), and the goal is to make a quick mobile RTS, though the franchise could later expand to larger multi-touch devices, as i know a company in desperate need of demos. Most possibly we can later expand to more traditional gaming platforms.

As far as I understand LÖVE does not handle Multi-Touch, but MT is at this state, not essential, all I want to do is give an impression of the fast paced game mechanics, and the simple controls, since this is for a simple device.

Here is the teaser:
"Defcon" meets "Dawn of War" on a diet.

I need this prototype to convince some of my friends, who are very experienced programmers, that my game is profitable.

I do not guarantee any profit, if you participate you accept that this might never make it beyond the prototype.

I am a honest man, and leader of an NSCoder Night chapter in Copenhagen, I believe in communities, and exchange of information, if this game makes it, it will cost money, but with no DRM, if it can be avoided. (App Store and Steam enforce DRM, so it might be hard to avoid it on those platforms).

i would like a demo within three months, but the deadline is negotiable, if you are interested, and want to hear more of the scope of the project, please contact me.

LÖVE! :)
Skofo
Party member

Re: Programmer needed for a retro-style RTS.

Post by Skofo »

I think it's worth just learning LÖVE or another easy language/API until you can make your game/prototype. It's not that hard once you get the hang of it. I don't think you'll have much luck finding a competent programmer, since many (I could say as far as almost every) hobbyist programmers enjoy designing their own games as well as actually creating them, and I'm pretty sure that most professional programmers would not like the idea of programming a game for someone who doesn't guarantee any profit, gave a quite concise description of what he expects the programmer to make and doesn't show any past work. I'm not saying in any way that your idea cannot work, it might be the game of the year for all I know, I just don't think you're approaching your problem in the best way that you could. Learning how to prototype things yourself can be a very helpful asset.

Either way, I wish you the best of luck and fun. ^^
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!