Navigating maps

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Peter Hickman
Prole

Navigating maps

Post by Peter Hickman »

This is just a little experiment to generate a random map and navigate around it. All very basic. Clicking in either map window will refocus the map on the selected area and the arrow keys will move the map one tile at a time.

Hopefully the love file will be usable for those not blessed with Macs :)
Attachments
map.love.zip
Simple map navigation
(4.03 KiB) Downloaded 332 times
Skofo
Party member

Re: Navigating maps

Post by Skofo »

Whoaa, that is too neat! :ultrashocked::

I commend your procedural generation/map coding skillz! ^^
Working on: Viator
Need a 64-bit Debian package for LÖVE? Here it is!
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Awesome. I really dig the retro feel to the entire thing, although it's a tad slowish for me.

But was the .zip-ing really necessary? It's one more step before I can play it.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Nice!

@Xcmd: What? You're double-clicking LÖVE files? Pffff... Only thing that was 'wrong' with this package was the extension, wasn't too bad was it? I thought I had to unpack some more. (Linux doesn't care about extension, if set up properly). (Don't take this serious btw)
Voker57
Prole

Post by Voker57 »

bartbes wrote:Nice!

@Xcmd: What? You're double-clicking LÖVE files? Pffff... Only thing that was 'wrong' with this package was the extension, wasn't too bad was it? I thought I had to unpack some more. (Linux doesn't care about extension, if set up properly). (Don't take this serious btw)
In fact, Linux thinks that this is zip file while not taking extension in account, and opens it as zip archive (as it in fact is one). And double-clicking still works only if package has .love extension.
Voker57
Prole

Post by Voker57 »

The look of this map tempts me to begin to wage wars/earn resourses on these isles, awesome.
Robin
The Omniscient

Post by Robin »

Very cool, and I second Voker57's comment ^^. Makes me itch to make a retro RTS with it.
Help us help you: attach a .love.
Peter Hickman
Prole

Post by Peter Hickman »

Voker57 wrote:The look of this map tempts me to begin to wage wars/earn resourses on these isles, awesome.
I'm torn between going completely retro with an Empires clone, which would be so much easier, or heading towards a Civ clone.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

This is pretty impressive ;) I'd go for the Empires clone since its much much easier. It took a whole team months/years to do Freeciv...
osuf oboys
Party member

Post by osuf oboys »

Peter Hickman wrote:This is just a little experiment to generate a random map and navigate around it. All very basic. Clicking in either map window will refocus the map on the selected area and the arrow keys will move the map one tile at a time.

Hopefully the love file will be usable for those not blessed with Macs :)
Hi, regarding the map generator. How about keeping track of the height of the terrain instead of the terrain type and converting it later? (or keeping it for shadows) This should make it easier to produce maps that have both large and small isles, areas with plenty of land and areas with very little. Fairly sophisticated generators can be found by looking at e.g. the civilization games.

Your method of generating maps reminds me of Bouzy maps, popular in e.g. chess and computer go.

The drawing is much faster if you replace the images with rectangles of the same colour. The drawing will hopefully be more efficient some time in the future.
If I haven't written anything else, you may assume that my work is released under the LPC License - the LÖVE Community. See http://love2d.org/wiki/index.php?title=LPC_License.