TacoShell, sample program

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Star Crunch
Prole

TacoShell, sample program

Post by Star Crunch »

Some of my coworkers and I are planning to put together little demos / prototypes / experiments / etc. and start posting them at
the Xibalba blog. At least, once we've got the settings that allow for that. At the moment
I can't get the .love / .zip upload to take, so I'll post this here and link to it instead.

It's basically a quickie UI demo, using the widgets I've thus far made art for and tested in a LÖVE setup. Buttons, strings, a slider, a group of
radio buttons, a marquee, and a textbox. It builds on the public (MIT license), Lua part of a framework library we've developed.

The library is called TacoShell, mostly because a couple of us thought that would be a funny name for a library made and used by a Mexican
developer. :P That this was a wise and prudent decision was confirmed by several kindred developers at Disney, who get paid the big bucks
to make wise and prudent decisions.[1]

There were going to be a whole lot more widgets and some inter-menu transitions and such, but work has been busy and I kept falling asleep
at night when I meant to work on it. :megagrin: A follow-up demo, perhaps in game form, should come in due course.

Alas, documentation is rather lacking. I have an .odt sitting around with various examples and such, but about half of it is obsolete and
another large swath of it mashedtogetherinanuglyblob; plus it's missing everything done since, which is a lot. If I get a chance maybe
I'll clean that up and post it somewhere, or more likely start throwing together example-laden blog posts.

[1] - Also, they were my roommates and buddies at school. :D

One of them, who is presently working on wacky demos of his own using this, also had an early hand in the company.
Attachments
Demo.love
Yet Another UI Demo
(126.13 KiB) Downloaded 540 times
TsT
Party member

Re: TacoShell, sample program

Post by TsT »

Good job !

I added your post to the wiki GUI list.

Best Regards,
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Kuromeku
Party member

Post by Kuromeku »

Code is messy and unreadable.

That's not even a coding style, it's just unnecessarily bad.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

ive seen worse
Star Crunch
Prole

Post by Star Crunch »

Kudomiku wrote:Code is messy and unreadable.

osgeld wrote:ive seen worse
:ehem: Anything in particular?

I'm planning some cleanup; I'll take anything reasonable into consideration.
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Have some documentation about the way to read your code/class/script ?

I have some difficulties to anderstand why do you use so many Boot.lua etc.

EDIT: the Boot.lua is used to index the content of the directory ?
My projects current projects : dragoon-framework (includes lua-newmodule, lua-provide, lovemodular, , classcommons2, and more ...)
Igmon
Prole

Post by Igmon »

comments on code and a documentation would clear things up :)
Star Crunch
Prole

Post by Star Crunch »

TsT wrote: I have some difficulties to anderstand why do you use so many Boot.lua etc.

EDIT: the Boot.lua is used to index the content of the directory ?
Yes, that's all the Boot.lua scripts are for; it's just a file that the loader will check for when it hits a new directory. [1] I used to load everything with a couple big files, but this was hard to maintain when moving / adding files and with coworkers doing the same. Also, they were just getting huge. :) It would be nice to just iterate blindly over everything, but there are dependencies to deal with (and also special load cases).

I may move away from this as I make the code more require()-friendly. [2]
TsT wrote:Have some documentation about the way to read your code/class/script ?
Igmon wrote:comments on code and a documentation would clear things up :)
I've got some, as mentioned in the first post, with descriptions of functions and brief code samples, but a lot of it would be misleading (changed function / class names, for instance) and incomplete. Also, it's kind of monolithic as an odt / pdf. I'm not sure how long a switch to HTML will take, but I'll make it available when I get a chance, definitely.

Feel free to PM me about anything specific that could use more (or fewer :)) comments.

P.S. to Igmon: My "wacky demos" friend is learning French now, and supplementing it in his spare time with all kinds of cartoons, which he then passes along to me. The Boubou theme is stuck in my head. :D

[1] - Sort of a simplification. The loader docs need some updating too. :D
[2] - Following the LÖVE ETA policy.
osgeld
Party member

Post by osgeld »

Star Crunch wrote:
Kudomiku wrote:Code is messy and unreadable.

osgeld wrote:ive seen worse
:ehem: Anything in particular?

I'm planning some cleanup; I'll take anything reasonable into consideration.

not really, just abit jumbled and not very self documenting
TsT
Party member

Post by TsT »

Star Crunch wrote:[2] - Following the LÖVE ETA policy.
What/Where is the LÖVE ETA policy ?