Pässion Editor (OS X)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Gerrit
Prole

Pässion Editor (OS X)

Post by Gerrit »

Hey!

Pässion is a new editor (at this moment) exclusively for Mac OS X. Mainly because there are enough good lua editors out there for Windows. So I can spend more time optimizing it for the mac platform. It's pretty simplistic, I didn't want to use toolbars because you're way faster using the shortcuts for copy/paste/save & so on. Please check it out. It's released as freeware. Don't forget that it's still in a very early stage so don't do serious work with it. If your mac catches fire while working with Pässion I can't be held responsible for that ;) Please post if you encounter problems/bugs with Pässion. Please don't post feature requests yet as I'm still working on the main features. Feature requests will be taken when version 0.5 is released.

Features in Pässion 0.2a:
  • Open, Edit & Save Lua scripts :)
  • Lua syntax highlighting (not completely finished yet)
  • Line folding
  • Jump to symbol
  • Lua auto-completion
  • Löve 0.5 auto-completion (yes, I'm not kidding)

Known bugs in Pässion 0.2a:
  • Doesn't open a file in the current window if it's empty (fixed in 0.3)
  • Set focus to a new windows editor (fixed in 0.3)

Screenshot
Pässion 0.2a: Editing a lua fila, show Löve code-completion

Download
System requirements: at least Mac OS 10.4, Intel or PowerPC Mac

Passion-0.2a (Intel) (from Rapidshare.com)
Passion-0.2a (PPC) (from Rapidshare.com)

FAQ
Why name it "Pässion"?
Because Pässion is the perfect fit for Löve. Löve & Pässion.

How to trigger code-completion?
Just press TAB to complete a word or to show the available options.
Xcmd
Party member

Re: Pässion Editor (OS X)

Post by Xcmd »

Aw. I want this. Is this heavily dependent upon OS X only technology or do you think a Linux port might be feasible?
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

Xcmd wrote:Aw. I want this. Is this heavily dependent upon OS X only technology or do you think a Linux port might be feasible?
Damn. I only wrote that I won't do a version for windows. You got me ;) Pässion is written with OS X in mind, especially the static menu on the top. I'll take a look into a linux port but I won't promise anything yet.
Xcmd
Party member

Post by Xcmd »

Well, if you do you do, if not oh well. If you could add the ability to run a Love game directly from the editor you'd have a leg up.
We don't borrow, we don't read, we don't rent, we don't lease, we take the minds!
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

Xcmd wrote:If you could add the ability to run a Love game directly from the editor you'd have a leg up.
Will be added in 0.4 or 0.5 depending on how well everything works out and how many feedback I get. I should advertise a bit in Lua boards. But where to begin..?;)
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Pretty cool. But no tabs :/ I usually have a dozen documents at once so I really need tabs. I 'll probably stick to Smultron for now.
Gerrit
Prole

Post by Gerrit »

appleide wrote:Pretty cool. But no tabs :/ I usually have a dozen documents at once so I really need tabs. I 'll probably stick to Smultron for now.
Hm, I knew someone would write that. I'm not the biggest fan of tabs because I'm in löve with Exposé :) But I know that most popular editors use tabs nowadays. The thing is: Pässion will include a project window soon to edit all files of a Löve project. It will look a bit like Apples xCode with a listing of all files in one window and every file you're currently editing in a new window. Other files, which are not part of the project can be edited easily. If you put everything into tabs (including the project tab) it doesn't work that great. I used a html editor which was tab based a long time ago. After a while they introduced project settings and it blew away the workflow.

The resolution: Either stay a multi window program with the project option or don't use projects and use tabs. Maybe there will be a fork of Pässion with tabs & most of the features Pässion will have/already has.

But this will be a while as there are no free good tab components that fit the needs and it's not the easiest task to code a good one ;) But hey, I did all the window managing by myself. I guess I'm getting better :) If I get a demo with tabs done I'll inform you.
appleide
Party member

Post by appleide »

Oops rather than tabs, I should've said "a document listing like XCode"... I agree safari-like tabs for text-editing don't really work too well.
Garotas*Gostosas
Prole

Post by Garotas*Gostosas »

Cool idea! I'm gonna check it out! :megagrin:
My smultron kinda sucks... cause every time I open my .lua files, "textadept" launches instead! crazy!

PS: I really think, you should call it Pässiön. (d'you see the additional umlauts? exiting, isn't it) 8-)
I LOVE GAME, YEAH!