Little Joystick and Pixel-Physics thing

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
LordKaT
Prole

Little Joystick and Pixel-Physics thing

Post by LordKaT »

Got some positive feedback, decided to keep developing this little pixelthing (whatever it turns out to be). Here's what this latest version entails: This will mostly interest the programmers as there is still a whole lot to do on the playability side of things.
  • Escape closes the window now
  • Joystick is the same as before (joystick #0, Button #1jumps, Button #2 attacks. New: Button #6 restarts)
  • Full bounding box collision detection and management(!)
  • Bounding box can detect a hit and on which side it was hit. Finer (per-pixel) control is left to the programmer.
  • There are a lot of C/C++ style conventions in the code, especially the function overloading. Sorry, that's just how I roll.
  • Rudimentary game object support. Objects can be anything and can have their own collide/think/draw functions.
  • Proof of concept "pass through" for easy item walk-over (i.e. you don't stop moving just because there's an item at your feet).
Some small bugs I've noticed:
  • Jumping straight up while next to a GameObject that blocks your movement will cause you to stand on the invisible (0,0) pixel. Temporary fix forces you back one pixel when you collide, might consider a more elegant solution later on.
  • Attack animations as they are currently implemented are simply not going to work for any real life gaming. Animations are probably going to be done on a button press/button release basis rather than rely on love's internal animation system. It'll flow smoother that way ... I think.
Todo:
  • What ISN"T there to do?
  • Map system of some kind is needed. I considered making map objects GameObjects, but that might have a wee bit too much overhead.
  • Attacking doesn't do anything at all
  • No HP/MP/Item system yet. Player cannot do anything besides jumping around like a crack addict at dawn
  • No monsters yet
Attachments
z2gt-052609.love
(10.39 KiB) Downloaded 187 times
LordKaT
Prole

Re: Little Joystick and Pixel-Physics thing

Post by LordKaT »

Bampu!

See first post for details.