2d Racing Game Development

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
shanesemler
Prole

2d Racing Game Development

Post by shanesemler »

Hello, my name is Shane and I've been lurking around here for a while. The community is friendly, exciting and cool! Though I'm not a programmer (I'm an artist and musician), I think I have a pretty good idea of the capabilities of the LÖVE engine. I'm developing concepts for a 2d racing game. I haven't decided if I want to go 2d with pseudo-3d mode 7 style graphics or a 2.5d game (3d graphics with 2d physics, I know LÖVE isn't a 3d engine, I'm just saying). LÖVE seems alot easier to work with than a 3d engine but as I said, I'm no coder. I'd really rather do this 2d as I think that the 2d racing genre was abandoned too soon in the rush to 3d. Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix is a great example of how amazing modern HD quality graphics in a 2d game can be.

I have worked on a open source game project before, Death Illustrated. It was a FPS. I did a tile set, 3d model and music for it. I've also toyed with graphics for Morrowind, Quake and some others. I'm hoping to go a bit further with this project though. I'm hoping to take it commercial. I'm not looking to make millions (haha) but as a (hopefully) interesting little indie title for sale, it might make a few bucks if it turns out good.

I've done alot of work on this and the end is nowhere in sight as I'm planning on doing both the graphics and audio/music so this is, at the very least, a two person project. This is just the preliminary concept work, lots to be done yet and nothing is set in stone so there's plenty of room for input from prospective collaborators. Please have a look at the stuff on my blog and let me know in this thread if any of you are interested: http://shanesemler.blogspot.com/
qubodup
Inner party member

Re: 2d Racing Game Development

Post by qubodup »

Hello!
shanesemler wrote:I have worked on a open source game project before, Death Illustrated.
Thanks for the hint, but I think that project is not open source - it just uses the open source cube engine - I can't find a source code download.
shanesemler wrote:I'm developing concepts for a 2d racing game.
What do you have in mind for your project? Vehicle damage? Shops? Weapons?

Have you played Death Rally? I love that game. There's an open source game project in that style: Tropy. Don't know if you're interested in top-down though.

Off-topic: Your art is great! May I ask why you stopped using dA?
lg.newImage("cat.png") -- made possible by lg = love.graphics
-- Don't force fullscreen (it frustrates those who want to try your game real quick) -- Develop for 1280x720 (so people can make HD videos)
shanesemler
Prole

Re: 2d Racing Game Development

Post by shanesemler »

Death Illustrated is no longer active, the old website no longer exists. I just point to the acid-play site because it's a convenient place to download it. To be completely honest, I'm not sure what the exact license on the game assets was but CUBE is of course FOSS. For the record, this project is not going to be open source, at least as far as the assets go. But I do think code should go back into LOVE or whatever engine we end up using. I do want it to be "open" in the sense that, for example, World of Goo has been open. I think those 2d Boy strikes the right balance.

For this game, I'm not interested in making it top down but I wouldn't mind playing a top-down racer if it's fun. I do think the fundamental problem with top down racers is the viewing distance. With the pseudo-3d style of a game like F-Zero or Mario Kart or even isometric view of Rock N' Roll racing, I think you get a better view of what is going on. Plus, top-down lacks the feel of speed you get with pseudo-3d and 3d graphics.

As for what I have in mind, I've been writing a paper with my thoughts, rough outline, etc. It's still being added to all the time. I can send it to anyone who is interested in seeing it. But briefly - I think it should have weapons of course, upgradable vehicles (armour, number of weapons, handling, engine, etc). I think the ships should recover health during the race, at different rates depending on the amount of armour, for balance. I'd like some unusual "weapons." For example I have an idea for a Wormhole weapon which allows you to switch position with a target competitor ahead of you. Gamepad support is critical for me. Just like playing an RTS with a controller kind of sucks, playing a console style racing game with a keyboard sucks. I'd like multiplayer, though at this point, not networked. Just two people on the same PC. I haven't played either of those games you mentioned. I've always been into the more futuristic, hover vehicle type games with more future/fantastic settings than the grungy mad-max style stuff. Might be worth a peek though. Thanks! :)

Thanks for the compliment! Sometimes I feel my work isn't very good, some validation now and then is nice. :)

I stopped using dA for a couple reasons. 1.) I don't like the owner or management of the site. I've been around there since 2001, I was even involved with an online magazine they were trying to launch for a brief period and I was unimpressed with their attitudes. I think they are nasty, awful people. 2.) My work has always been largely ignored. It's supposed to be a social site. It doesn't feel all that social when you get next to no feedback, interaction or appreciation for what you do. Now I just go there to look at others work and download the occasional wallpaper or GTK theme.