love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Zilarrezko
Party member

Re: Love-Release. Now modular !

Post by Zilarrezko »

Rucikir wrote:I don't get if your a beginner in scripts...
Zilarrezko wrote: I'm not even a beginner in scripts.
I've tried to do a helloworld bash script on my linux laptop, and after 1 hour, I gave up because I couldn't get it to work
Haha, What I meant to say is that I'm not good enough to even be considered a beginner. I'm something lower than a beginner xD.

But with my github thing I can clone your repository. That's easy. Then... Ill just make a video of what I'm doing!

Here it is [Deleted Video, because problem was resolved.]

If you're watching and the quality is bad, then youtube hasn't finished processing the video. But should be tolerable by the time you see it.
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Ok, so just to tell the potential readers, the problem with Zilarrezko was that he tried to use the script on Windows...

I just fixed a few bugs and implemented support for bash-completion ! It should be muuuuch more easier to type the looong options now.
And now the dependencies will be downloaded at installation.

There might be a bug when if you pass an argument that countains spaces to an option, the next options will not be recognized or something buggy will occur. Need to fix this.
EDIT: fixed !
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Hi everyone !

It's been a month, and I've done some improvements to love-release.
  • Many bug fixes ! Can't list them.
  • ICONS !
    You can now pass as argument a directory where icons are contained.
    The resolution must be in the filename, then the script will use them for Debain, Android and OUYA packages.
  • Better install process, supports installation in user space.
  • You can now ship your Windows executables with an installer ! It uses Inno Setup, and requires Wine.
I'm always thinking of rewirting the readme, because I find it purely unreadable.
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but Markdown formatting on Github doesn't seem to fit very well with man pages.

I feel like love-release has become more popular and mature. Tomorrow will be it's first anniversary, so I was considering adding a link to it from the wiki, from the Game Distribution (that would be so nice !) section or from the Software category.

There is still some work to do, around Linux distribution and signed Android apk. See the issues if you'd like to help :). There used to be an option to use LÖVE Nightlies. Would you like to have this back ?

Thank you for your support and feedback !
Long live the Lövers !

love-release on Github

(Yes, I keep updating this thread because I want to reach 50 stars ^^ )
EDIT: Thanks to davisdude I now have 49 stars. I'll star it myself to reach fifty :D
Germanunkol
Party member

Re: love-release.sh - Bash script to distribute your games

Post by Germanunkol »

Really awesome tool. I had starred it for a while (I was one of the 50 stars! yay!), but just got to use it for the first time, yesterday. Made Ludum-Dare distribution a blast:

Code: Select all

love-release [arguments] -r Release [more arguments]
cd Release/0.9.1/
scp ./* username@server:downloads/
... and I was done and had versions for all platforms. Wicked! :D

Thank you so much for this!
trAInsported - Write AI to control your trains
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
GridCars - Our jam entry for LD31
Germanunkol.de
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

You're really welcome ! I'm glad it's usefull for all of you out there.
I was surprised that the interest for the script, the visits on the page and the stars were increasing this past week, then I realized it was because of Ludum Dare... :ehem:

I suspect there might be bugs with the -x option to exclude files if the file contains special characters or spaces (but who does this anyway ?!).
Autocompletion could also be slightly improved, whith config file recogntion and so on, but this is minor. And I have not yet found the time to get into real Linux and RPM distribution.
I also find the readme.md file absolutely unreadable on Github... I prefer the man version :D
I dreamed once of a GUI and a Windows version of love-release, but no. Not yet. Too busy. Don't want to. Just little games. No big deal. Voilà.
And there's a lot of ugly things in my Bash code. A lot of things could be improved, I think.

If you, as a Ludum Darian (is that the name ?), or casual Love user, find any bugs or have any suggestions about love-release, please tell me.
Of course, it's a bit too late to help you since LD games development might be finished, but anyway if there's something I can do to improve love-release i'll always be glad to do it.

Thanks !
bananpermobil
Prole

Post by bananpermobil »

i LÖÖVEEH this! Releasing went from :cry: to :awesome: (except for icons which I can't seem to get to work properly yet)
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

I do have a feature request:

I often have a Readme file in the main project, which I would like to include in the project. The current method includes it, but then hides it inside the .exe and instead puts Löve's readme into the zip file.

Could there be a way to list seperate files which are to be included in the zipped versions?
Bandana (Dev blog) - Platformer featuring an awesome little ninja by Micha and me
Germanunkol.de
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

I thought of it a while ago. Maybe a --dist option that would add files to the final zip, and not included in the final executable.
Besides, you can use -x to exclude files and directories from your executable.

Would it be better if löve's readme and changelog were deleted ?

I'll make tests (GladOS mode) to see if everything's working before I push new changes.
Germanunkol
Party member

Post by Germanunkol »

A --dist option might be good. Maybe löve's readme should be renamed to "EngineReadme" or similar, so that it doesn't collide with the game's readme?

In the meantime, I'm still having a blast with this tool. I've pushed around 10 to 20 updates on GridCars to our website, and every time it's a two-liner where earlier it was at least 15 minutes of work each time.
Germanunkol.de
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

I cloned the repo and tried installing it on OSX, but I think something went wrong:

Code: Select all

Do you wish to install love-release system-wide ? [Y/n]: y
Installing...
./install.sh: line 14: pkg-config: command not found
Cloning into '/usr/share/love-release/include/getopt'...
remote: Counting objects: 15, done.
remote: Compressing objects: 100% (15/15), done.
remote: Total 15 (delta 5), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 0
Unpacking objects: 100% (15/15), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
Cloning into '/usr/share/love-release/include/bash_ini_parser'...
remote: Counting objects: 268, done.
remote: Total 268 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 268
Receiving objects: 100% (268/268), 43.02 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (89/89), done.
Checking connectivity... done.
mkdir: : No such file or directory
Done !
Any idea?