love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Rucikir
Party member

Re: love-release.sh - Bash script to distribute your games

Post by Rucikir »

Oh... I forgot there are people running os x here ! Of course, I wrote the install script for linux distros and not for os x. :roll:
I'm sorry, i'll fix that as soon as I can. Josefnpat told me a while ago he disliked the way love-release is installed. There are some changes to make to this script, I'll take care of it within the week I hope.
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Rucikir wrote:Oh... I forgot there are people running os x here ! Of course, I wrote the install script for linux distros and not for os x. :roll:
I'm sorry, i'll fix that as soon as I can. Josefnpat told me a while ago he disliked the way love-release is installed. There are some changes to make to this script, I'll take care of it within the week I hope.
Ah that explains things :)

I haven't been using a lot of .sh scripts so far (but I am not new to the terminal in general), but does it really need to be installed? I mean couldn't I just put it in some folder and run it from there with

Code: Select all

bash love-release ...
?
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

I know, but I wrote a man page, and an auto-completion file :)
I also wanted to split the so-called modules for every os into sub-files... I suppose it is better during development, but for the end user it is probably easier to have everythinh in one file.
Nevertheless, if you want the man page and the completion file, there aren't a hundred ways to copy them.
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Hello everybody !
I'm am proud to release a (pre) version of love-release !

I has been a very long time since I haven't made any changes (around 9 months), but this time is over and I have spend nights on Bash scripting (I'm still alive). I have rewritten love-release from it's roots and got rid of all the old bugs ! (and introduced some new). That's why I'm not merging the rewrite branch into the master branch, because I'd like your testing. Please.

So, what has changed ?
  • the script can be build with a Makefile:
    • You can install it on your computer, so you'll have it in your path, with the bash completion and the manpage.

make && make install
    • Or you can have it embedded in one file and bring it everywhere whith you !

make embedded
    • If you have it installed normally, you can remove it with

make remove
  • The configuration is now done directly in the conf.lua file. It is cascading, you can make a global configuration for every module, or a per-module config.
  • Most of the options have been renamed. It is cascading, you can have global options for every module, or per-module options.
  • the script is muuuuch more clean and efficient. The modules are executed in subshells.
  • it is easier to write you own modules.
It seems so little now that I have made this changelog, but inside there is not a single line that haven't changed.

If you could help me test it, I think Windows icons and installer support is not really working. There might also be some bugs and errors.
And if you have any idea about new functionnalities, or how to improve the docs, please let me know.

Some ideas that are not implemented:
  • specify a .love file directly
  • compile the .lua files ?
Rucikir
Party member

Re: love-release.lua - In Lua ! - distribute your games

Post by Rucikir »

Hello everybody !
I am rewriting love-release in pure Lua, using LuaRocks.
love-release should be more easier to use :p
For the moment I haven't reimplemented all the functionalities but you can take a look at it on the luarocks branch and install it with luarocks ! Really easy, but read the README first.
More features coming soon !

I, too, fixed all bugs.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Nice, it's all in Lua!
What features are currently supported?

Keep it up!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Perhaps I made the announcement too early :p
Not much is supported yet. Only standard .love, and pre-compilation of lua files... I will implement more in the upcoming weeks I hope :)
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

Hello. Thank you for this script, it is very nice to see all the effort you put in to provide builds for all these platforms - Wowee!

I ran across an issue while I tried to build my first W32 zip (no installer), to be brief:

kbmonkey@multivac:nova-pinball$ love-release -W32 -t "Nova Pinball" -l 0.9.1
Generating Nova Pinball with LÖVE 0.9.1 for Windows...
/usr/share/love-release/scripts/windows.sh: line 3: OPTIONS: readonly variable
Double-checking my gnu utils:

getopt --version && readlink --version && bash --version
getopt from util-linux 2.25.2
readlink (GNU coreutils) 8.23
GNU bash, version 4.3.30
I got this working by removing the "readonly" attribute from the OPTIONS variable in love-release.sh, not sure if my environment has an incompatible version of one of the utils. Either way it runs now and just thought I'd report.

Again, great script!
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Yeah I'm sorry the error was reported #26 about a month ago and I did not take the time to fix it. Now it is fixed by f43a111. I hope it'll work alright.
I'm still rewriting love-release to Lua but I don't have much time :)
kbmonkey
Party member

Post by kbmonkey »

Thank you, I will watch the repo to avoid future silly questions :crazy: