love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Rucikir
Party member

Re: Love-Release. Bash script to make it easier.

Post by Rucikir »

Hi everyone !
Just want to say that... Thanks to josefnpat, the script finally supports Debian packages !
https://github.com/MisterDA/love-release

-d Create a deb package. Aimed at Debian and Ubuntu derivatives. In order to create a Debian package, you must provide more informations about it.

--description: Set the description of your project.
--homepage: Set the homepage of your project.
--maintainer-email: Set the maintainer’s email.
--maintainer-name: Set the maintainer’s name. The company name is used by default.
--package-name: Set the name of the package and the command that will be used to launch your game. By default, it is the name of your project converted to lowercase, with eventual spaces replaced by dashes.
--version: Set the version of your package.

If you want to add icons in the debian package, open it and put the icons in /usr/share/icons/hicolor/YYxYY/apps/, where YY is the width of the icon. You also have to edit the line "Icon=love" in /usr/share/applications/yourgame.desktop to match the icon's name. See developer.gnome.org for more informations.

There were also some minor bug fixes and improvements, and I have rewritten the long help to use man. I think it's better :)
If you think of more features that could be added, or you have found a bug, please tell me.
Please clone and use, star, fork, do whatever you want !
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

Holy fuck does this work on like most Linux machines running a debian based OS?
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Holy fuck, I hope so !
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

What about android apk's? It would be fun to have... the person set's the environment, your script generates the new manifest and calls "ant debug" or makes a signed apk (that is harder but if you are up to it then that is great)

To make apks you need:
  • the icon in four different sizes (ouya coverflow image if compiling for it)
  • a name used when installing the apk (something like Game 1.0)
  • a name for the app (just the Game)
  • a version (the guide recommends something like 0.9.1a-game-1.0)
and that is it.

PS: Would love Arch linux packages but that is rather hard.

PS2:josefnpat also made a script to run .love files in linux, it checks the version of the löve it requires and if the version of the installed one is not equal then it asks if you want to continue with the run process, it is really neat and could be included as an option, you can find it here.

EDIT: You have a github already set... I will submit the issues there and probably give you some code
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

I took a look at josefnpat's script. It's nice, but I don't think I will be of any use here for a few reasons:
  • the package requests a specific version of Love (>=0.9.1 for the latest games) so any package manager will simply refuse to install your game if it can not find the specific version. No need to check if love is installed, or if it is the good version.
  • if you have written the Love version your game uses in conf.lua, and the love command you use does not match it, love itself will print a warning.
  • I don't think it's good to check for the string love --version returns, because the script is mean to last, and the return value will change over time which means I or someone would have to change it.
So... this is my point of vue about this question ^^

PKGBUILDs is a good idea. I'll take a look.

I have started working on the Android port, but I have no knowledge about Android nor Java so I can't really test the results. Please see https://github.com/MisterDA/love-release/issues/2 if you'd like to help me.
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

That script is for other unix systems... not ubuntu or debian... It uses love -version just to see if love is installed and if it is a compatible version... It might need to be polished a little (like 0.9.2 will be able to run code from 0.9.1 and 0.9.0) but it is rather good, this is for running .love files not packaged. Also it gives URL to the love page and building love pages... that LÖVE doesn't by default.

It is just another option to be included in parallel but I know what you mean.
end
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Okay ! Thanks to josefnpat and Positive07, the script now supports Android !

-a
Create an Android package. In order to create an Android package, you must have installed the Android SDK. See Building LÖVE for Android, but there is no need to install the LÖVE port to Android, as the script will handle this by itself. You also might want to provide more informations about it.

Note that every argument passed to the options should be alphanumerical, with eventual underscores (i.e. [a-zA-Z0-9_]), otherwise you'll get errors.
--activity
The name of the class that extends GameActivity. By default it is the name of the project with ‘Activity’ appended, eventual spaces and dashes replaced by underscores.
--maintainer-name
Set the maintainer’s name. The company name is used by default. It must be only alphanumerical characters, with eventual underscores.
--package-name
Set the name of the package. By default, it is the name of your project, with eventual spaces replaced by underscores.
--update-repo
Update the love-android-sdl2.git repository used in the cache.
--version
Set the version of your package.

Icons support for Android and for the rest will come soon. If you'd like to help, https://github.com/MisterDA/love-release/issues/3.
Kookerus
Prole

Post by Kookerus »

Hi! I don't know if this is the right place, but when executing the love-release script, I get an error saying "love-release.sh: 8: love-release.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected"
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

Kookerus wrote:Hi! I don't know if this is the right place, but when executing the love-release script, I get an error saying "love-release.sh: 8: love-release.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected"
Weird which OS are you using?
end
Kookerus
Prole

Post by Kookerus »

Positive07 wrote:
Kookerus wrote:Hi! I don't know if this is the right place, but when executing the love-release script, I get an error saying "love-release.sh: 8: love-release.sh: Syntax error: "(" unexpected"
Weird which OS are you using?
Ubuntu 13.10.
Line 8 is the start of the short help function. I removed it to see what would happen, and it turns out that it does this for every function, but I see no missing parentheses.