love-release - in Lua ! - makes LÖVE game release easier

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Rucikir
Party member

Re: Love-Release. Bash script to make it easier.

Post by Rucikir »

T-Bone wrote:Seems like a nice script. Of course, it would have been even nicer if it built .deb-files :neko:
How ? I've always thougt that the only way to use Löve on Linux was to run 'love YourGame.love' in CLI... The purpose is not to install Löve here, but only to run games based on it. If I'm wrong in any way, please tell me
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

T-Bone wrote:Seems like a nice script. Of course, it would have been even nicer if it built .deb-files :neko:
May as well make .rpm and PKGBUILDs as well.
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

Rucikir wrote:
Kingdaro wrote:Very nice! May I suggest that the script uses a local version of files provided by the user? It's possible that the LÖVE website could be down and the files could be inaccessible, or if you're not connected to the internet.
It's a very good idea... Just thinking, what options should be used ? Coming in next update !
Done ! I made a cache in '~/.cache/love-release'. The script will look in this directory to find the required files. If not, it will just download them ! So you can replace there the original files by your own. They just have to keep the same name, for instance 'love-0.8.0-win-x86.zip'. You can refresh the cache with 'love-release.sh --refresh'.
Kingdaro wrote:
Ok, I've made my researches. I will certainely do it, but it requires a bit of work :)
If you have any tips on this subject, it will be helpful for me.

Thanks !
slime
Solid Snayke

Post by slime »

Rucikir wrote:Are there already 0.9.0 builds for Mac and Windows ? Because I just used the URLs from https://bitbucket.org/rude/love/downloads...
Boolsheet and I do semi-nightly builds of it (links are here), but it hasn't been released yet so there are no official release builds.
Rucikir wrote:Will someday Löve be in version 1.x.y ? I need to make some modifications if so.
Eventually.

:P
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

Rucikir wrote:
How ? I've always thougt that the only way to use Löve on Linux was to run 'love YourGame.love' in CLI... The purpose is not to install Löve here, but only to run games based on it. If I'm wrong in any way, please tell me
First of all, if you have LÖVE installed, you don't need to use the CLI. Just double click on the .love file in Nautilus (or some other file manager if you use that).

Second, yes indeed, you can make .deb files. They are installer packages. In the case of a LÖVE game, it would have to list LÖVE version 0.8.0 or newer (or something) as a dependency, and upon install it should place the .love file in a reasonable location and create shortcuts to it, allowing you to reach it through the application selection tools of your distro (like the Unity Dash on Ubuntu).
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

Rucikir wrote:
Kingdaro wrote:
Ok, I've made my researches. I will certainely do it, but it requires a bit of work :)
If you have any tips on this subject, it will be helpful for me.

Thanks !
Woah wait, I was actually kind of joking in that post, because essentially, the only global, convenient format for linux is a binary, which can't actually be distributed unless the user actually downloads all the libraries LÖVE requires. Another problem is that package / installation formats differ greatly in distributions to the point where including every single package format available is redundant.

For most distributions, a .love and a "sudo apt-get install love" or "sudo pacman -S love" is sufficient, especially considering they only have to install LÖVE once.

I don't mean to throw your hard work down the drain or anything, but I'd advise against making packages for linux. Though I suppose just a .deb would probably be fair enough, since most people do use Ubuntu or some other Ubuntu/Debian-based distribution, that and LÖVE is outdated in Debian's repositories IIRC.
jjmafiae
Party member

Post by jjmafiae »

.deb packages would be super amazing!!!!!! that would make my life :o
T-Bone
Inner party member

Post by T-Bone »

The point of .deb files is that those Linux users who are least likely to understand instructions such as how to install LÖVE on their own are the ones most likely to use Ubuntu (because it's the most common one, and also considered the most user friendly by many). So having a .deb would make it easy for the non-tech savvy while everyone else can work with a .love and a readme. So if there was a simply way to build .deb files which work for just Ubuntu (or something based on it, like Mint) that would help a lot. Especially for LÖVE programmers who themselves aren't familiar with Linux.

I'm not forcing you to implement it (of course), I just want to point out that it really would be helpful and not pointless.
josefnpat
Inner party member

Post by josefnpat »

Kingdaro wrote:
Rucikir wrote:the only global, convenient format for linux is a binary
This is true so long as you have a binary for every architecture (there are some cross arch) and every system with the set of whatever version libraries that love is dependent on. Of course, in this case, you are referring to yum, apt, pacman, etc.

The major advantage of .deb (in a love game's case) is that it DOESN'T contain a binary (just the .love file), and has the package manager / user install love and it's dependencies on their own terms.

I will mention that I have a working .love to .deb script, and you can test the results here;

http://missingsentinelsoftware.com/syst ... 1d_all.deb

I plan on releasing this script, but it isn't ready for public consumption yet. If you're interested in helping me develop, or just test the script out, you can hit me up on IRC.
Missing Sentinel Software | Twitter

FORCIBLY IGNORED.
<leafo> when in doubt delete all of your code
<bartbes> git rm -r *
<bartbes> git commit -m "Fixed all bugs"
<bartbes> git push
Rucikir
Party member

Post by Rucikir »

This is a good idee, I'll take a look
Last edited by Rucikir on Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.