Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v1.2.3.0

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Karai17
Party member

Re: Simple Tiled Implementation - STI v0.7.4

Post by Karai17 »

Exporting to Lua reduces load times by exponential amount. Check out my Benchmark in the OP. Well worth the extra step. :)
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
danbo
Prole

Post by danbo »

I'm sure it is! Some sort of automation in Tiled for automatically generating the Lua on save would be ideal.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

You could post an issue on Tiled's issue tracker requesting such a thing.

hairy puppy
Prole

Post by hairy puppy »

just to say 'thanks' for STI. just getting into using tiled properly, as in, actually using it too its full affect.
did get confused, as the documentation, from what i saw , did not say about lua export from tiled. but got it to work none-the-less. so thanks

this is will come in super handy now.
lewis lepton
------
http://smokingbunny.net
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

It isn't explicitly stated, but I think I did imply exporting to lua in the new() docs

Philbywhizz
Prole

Post by Philbywhizz »

I just want to say a big thankyou for STI - it has made me writting my Adventureworld game so much easier (and I've learn so much about tables in the process - I actually get it now).
Philbywhizz.com - a blog too far...
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

<3

permadeth
Prole

Post by permadeth »

I'm creating a top-down hack-n-slash type game, and I'm using Tiled 0.9.1 (and LOVE 0.9.1 of course) with STI 0.7.4 and everything is working really well. Perfectly in fact, except I have no idea how to get my collision_layer (Tile Layer 2) from Tiled to work with HardonCollider (Via STI). I admit I am fairly new at this, but I would be willing to write or help to write a quick tutorial (with my game as an example), to help people like me who find collision detection can be quite intimidating on this scale. If anyone can give me a detailed explanation of a solution to my problem, that would be wonderful. Thanks :P
Clean3d
Prole

Post by Clean3d »

Hi Permadeath,
Here's an example that might help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103 ... ample.love

I'm adding individual Hardon Collider shapes for each of the tiles, which doesn't seem like a good long-term solution. For my own game, I used an object layer with polygon shapes drawn around the map borders. The way things are done in this example causes the sim to explode. Personally I prefer the built-in Box2D physics. AFAIK, Hardon Collider doesn't do collision resolution, which means if your game has walls, you'll have to figure out yourself how to keep entities from walking through walls. Box2D is a bit more complex, but it will take care of that for you. Still, only you know what features are needed for your game.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Clean3d's Twitter, Game, and Blog
permadeth
Prole

Post by permadeth »

Clean3d wrote:Hi Permadeath,
Here's an example that might help.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/103 ... ample.love

I'm adding individual Hardon Collider shapes for each of the tiles, which doesn't seem like a good long-term solution. For my own game, I used an object layer with polygon shapes drawn around the map borders. The way things are done in this example causes the sim to explode. Personally I prefer the built-in Box2D physics. AFAIK, Hardon Collider doesn't do collision resolution, which means if your game has walls, you'll have to figure out yourself how to keep entities from walking through walls. Box2D is a bit more complex, but it will take care of that for you. Still, only you know what features are needed for your game.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thanks a lot. I'll look at the example, and I appreciate the advice! Getting my head around some physics might actually be the best thing in the end anyway :D