LÖVE3D

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
raidho36
Party member

Re: LÖVE3D

Post by raidho36 »

Oh yeah it gets that reaction a lot from 1337h4xx0r-wannabes. It's a solid engine and it supports a lot of things many others don't such as farm rendering to power CAVE setups and the like.
shakesoda
Citizen

Post by shakesoda »

I'm not going to fight over engines in this thread and you can keep the personal attacks to yourself.
excessive ❤ moé (LÖVE3D, CPML, ...). holo on IRC.
raidho36
Party member

Post by raidho36 »

Just pointing out that dismissing it with nothing but smug face for argumentation is not very intelligent. You should at least elaborate why you think it's a poor choice if you make such statement.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

No he doesn't, because that's not what this thread is about. Now can we get back on topic?
Viomi
Prole

Post by Viomi »

raidho36 wrote:Oh yeah it gets that reaction a lot from 1337h4xx0r-wannabes. It's a solid engine and it supports a lot of things many others don't such as farm rendering to power CAVE setups and the like.
It's ironic that those "1337h4xx0r-wannabes" know more about how un-optimized and bloated unity is than you seem to.

Back on topic: What made you decide to stop working with LÖVE? I don't really understand what you mean by
shakesoda wrote:That said, I've gotten pretty sick of fighting love (and the devs on love's scope) for every little feature I want and not really having the tools to make things reliable, so I've been off writing an engine instead.
Any features in particular you weren't able to implement?
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

There are several features that would make our lives a lot easier that will not be added to the LOVE framework because they are either 3D-specific (which is code that the LOVE devs don't want to maintain) or not a priority. Uniform buffers, depth buffer, other such things that would help 3D a lot, and 2D a little (or not at all). It' snot necessarily a bad thing, it's just a goal that we don't share with the devs, so instead of trying to FFI a bunch of stuff into Lua and fight the system, we're looking into other options that will give us what we want directly.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
shakesoda
Citizen

Post by shakesoda »

update: we needed some animation features for our LD37 entry, so anim9 has been updated to version 0.1.0. now includes the ability to layer animations at different playback speeds and influences, and you can look up the final transformations using anim.current_matrices[bone_name], for things like object attachments.

the animation blending didn't come until just now (I really wish I'd figured it out last week...), but we used the bone lookups to transform our hit capsules for the boss, basically making the whole game work.
Andrew McWatters
Prole

Post by Andrew McWatters »

[deleted]
Last edited by Andrew McWatters on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Didn't we have a big argument last week on the love issue tracker about the direction love is going? Aren't you unhappy with the direction I want love to go?

That aside. We're planning to deprecate LOVE3D soonish in favour of replacing the rendering engine with bgfx.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
shakesoda
Citizen

Post by shakesoda »

hm, I won't be entirely moving off love any time soon for my jam projects and prototyping, I think, but you might want to keep an eye on lua-bgfx. I'm still working on improving the API coverage (and making what's there usable), but most of my future projects will be using it.