LÖVE3D

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
TurtleP
Party member

Re: LOVE3D: For Realsies

Post by TurtleP »

Last question (you're probably getting annoyed with all my questions :| )

If a model has a rigged animation such as walk, indexed as ACT_WALK, how do you plan to play the animation? I'm asking this because it looks like you made your original video look as though you moved a ton of bones on the model by code, which is very frustrating.
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

It's actually all automated! Just set the current animation to ACT_WALK and off it goes!

I'm not annoyed, I'm actually pleased someone is finally taking notice of this, heh.
STI - An awesome Tiled library
LÖVE3D - A 3D library for LÖVE 0.10+

Dev Blog | GitHub | excessive ❤ moé
TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

I asked these questions because I am interested, and also because I code addons (which use Lua) for Garry's Mod. The system they use is stuff like:

Vector(number, number, number) which makes a new Vector
Player.GetEyeTrace() returns where the game's cursor is looking toward and things like: is this object an entity (trace.Entity)? You can even check the material of a wall!
Entity:SetPosition(Vector(number, number, number)) sets the position of an entity in the world to the Vector given

But don't think I'm making suggestions for only me, it's more of things to think about when you build this!
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

If you check out the math library I posted about (Simplex), you'll note there are several other modules with lots of interesting stuff.

TurtleP
Party member

Post by TurtleP »

Karai17 wrote:If you check out the math library I posted about (Simplex), you'll note there are several other modules with lots of interesting stuff.
Will do! I will also check out the .love once I get on my laptop, since this computer where I'm at doesn't have shader support :P
Davidobot
Party member

Post by Davidobot »

This is, again, amazing! How does the camera work? Do you have an API for it?
PM me on here or elsewhere if you'd like to discuss porting your game to Nintendo Switch via mazette!
personal page and a raycaster
miko
Party member

Post by miko »

shakesoda wrote:
Jasoco wrote:You'll have to elaborate on that. What exactly is customized? Will there be a Mac version of this customized Löve engine? Or a Linux? Is this customized Love engine helping with the speed of rendering or is that a shader? How do you handle pixel depth?
It's a custom build of Love's vertex buffer branch that we patched to fix a crash, and an FFI binding we're using is currently having issues on not-Windows or we'd just include bins.

The vertex buffer branch exposes arbitrary vertex attributes to shaders and we used FFI to enable OpenGL's depth testing. We're going to get it working on other stuff, it's just not the first priority.
So is this only modification from vanilla love version (addition of vertex buffer)? I am another one waiting for linux version to try out.
My lovely code lives at GitHub: http://github.com/miko/Love2d-samples
Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

https://gist.github.com/shakesoda/11f13a6ceefa2fa946c9

Run the above diff against the vertex buffer branch and you will have the same executable we have. We're using a few raw OpenGL calls within lua as well, and we've updated how we do things since we first posted. Once we solve another bug or two, we may release an updated demo.

If anyone wants to compile a mac environment, we'd be happy to host it here as well.

Karai17
Party member

Post by Karai17 »

Don't mind me, just chunking procedurally generated terrain. This took longer than expected to get working, but now it works great! We need to smooth out the lighting across chunks and reimplement smooth interpolation, but now that we have chunking, we can generate large swaths of terrain in a relatively short period of time.

On my PC it takes roughly 18 seconds to generate a 256m^2 area. I'm sure we can probably speed it up, but for now.. it works!

davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Nice work! Loving the progress pictures, too!
Two questions, though:
- What do the devs think about it? (If you know. Don't put words in their mouth ;))
- Have you handled transformations (scaling, rotating, etc.)?
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim