[library] bump.lua v3.1.4 - Collision Detection

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: [library] bump.lua v3.0.1 - Collision Detection

Post by kikito »

I would suggest making it second, but if you do it first I am not objecting as it's simple enough to update our code in like 2 minutes tops.
Cool. I think I will go with the first option then. It'll be better in the long run. Stay tuned.
Doctory wrote:is there a way to move objects without doing collisions?
Certainly. You use world:update to do that (it allows you to change the dimensions of the items too)
When I write def I mean function.
kikito
Inner party member

Re: [library] bump.lua v3.1.0 - Collision Detection

Post by kikito »

Hi,

I'm releasing bump 3.1.0 (the previous one was 3.0.1).

The only change this version has is that now the filter function used by world:move and world:check had only one parameter (other) and now it has two (item, other). This change was impulsed by a question from Doctory (thanks!).

I have updated the demos in the OP to show how they are done. I have also put the "Platforms" demo there

Check it out, it's cool :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79223

PS: Apologies for the double-post, but in this case I think it was guaranteed, since I wrote several days ago and this is an announcement.
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

kikito wrote:Hi,

I'm releasing bump 3.1.0 (the previous one was 3.0.1).

The only change this version has is that now the filter function used by world:move and world:check had only one parameter (other) and now it has two (item, other). This change was impulsed by a question from Doctory (thanks!).

I have updated the demos in the OP to show how they are done. I have also put the "Platforms" demo there

Check it out, it's cool :D

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=79223
Awesome. BTW, were there even any changes with 3.0.1? I checked the GIT repository and it listed the only change in the actual library as the version number being changed.
kikito wrote:PS: Apologies for the double-post, but in this case I think it was guaranteed, since I wrote several days ago and this is an announcement.
I don't think this is even an issue. I have no problem with bumping when a few days have passed and there's something new to show off. It's just when people get frustrated that no one wants to reply to their post and they angrily bump it just for the sake of pushing the topic to the top of the list.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Jasoco wrote:BTW, were there even any changes with 3.0.1? I checked the GIT repository and it listed the only change in the actual library as the version number being changed.
I try to use Semantic Versioning in all my libs. So patch changes (i.e. moving from 1.1.1 to 1.1.2) are bugfixes.

In 3.0.1's case, the bug I fixed was related with 'cross'-type intersections not being resolved correctly (they sometimes altered the item's trajectory, while they should not). Since it was only a backwards-compatible bugfix, I decided not to include it on the changelog. Maybe I should have.
bartbes
Sex machine

Post by bartbes »

Things like that are always tricky, but from a user's perspective it's weird if it's not mentioned at all. Even just saying "Misc bugfixes" usually beats not listing it at all, simply because you acknowledge the version's existence.
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Ok, I will include bugfixes in changelogs from now on. Thanks for the feedback.
Doctory
Party member

Post by Doctory »

nice, thanks for including the item paramter
i wont be using bump for now because i dont need it but it will be useful for future projects :)
+1 for your awesome library
NightKawata
Party member

Post by NightKawata »

I've taken a look at bump 3.1.0 now, and the documentation's finally up to snuff, and what I see is very clean and definitely more than usable. I might switch over to using this for my next project!
"I view Python for game usage about the same as going fishing with a stick of dynamite. It will do the job but it's big, noisy, you'll probably get soaking wet and you've still got to get the damn fish out of the water." -taylor
kikito
Inner party member

Post by kikito »

Quick update: I've released 3.1.1.

It fixes a (rarely occurring) bug which happened when you tried to collide an item which was not moving - the y coordinate was initialized to the x coordinate because of a typo.

Notice that I didn't bother updating the demos for this change. In order to get the latest version, it is better that you get it from the master branch on github.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/kikit ... r/bump.lua
Doctory
Party member

Re: [library] bump.lua v3.1.1 - Collision Detection

Post by Doctory »

hi once again kikito
i am having troubles (for the first time) using this library.
the collisions are ignored.
i made sure i added all bodies to the world.
sorry if i made some silly error.

EDIT: i am using 3.1.0