Timers

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
micha
Inner party member

Re: Timers - A WIP

Post by micha »

Here are some thoughts I had when testing:
Currently the game is a mix of a puzzle and an execution game. One the one hand the player needs to find the correct path and on the other hand he has to press the buttons to execute the path without stopping.
Maybe the game will benefit, if you make it a pure puzzle game. You could do that by replacing the smooth movement with grid-locked movement and replace the time counter with a step counter. So a level would be : "You can make 4 steps on green, 6 steps on red ...". As I said, the game will be much more puzzly then. Depends on your taste, if you like this more.

Besides that you can improve two small things:
  • Instead of letting the player press Space to start, let the player just start. As soon as the player presses an arrow key, the timer should start
  • The human eye is not very good at seeing absolute colors. I found it difficult to judge from the depleting color, how much time I have left on each of the color. Maybe you can try a Health-bar-like display for the time left in the three colors?
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

First thanks for trying out the game and giving feedback. It's much appreciated.
micha wrote:Here are some thoughts I had when testing:
Currently the game is a mix of a puzzle and an execution game. One the one hand the player needs to find the correct path and on the other hand he has to press the buttons to execute the path without stopping.
Maybe the game will benefit, if you make it a pure puzzle game. You could do that by replacing the smooth movement with grid-locked movement and replace the time counter with a step counter. So a level would be : "You can make 4 steps on green, 6 steps on red ...". As I said, the game will be much more puzzly then. Depends on your taste, if you like this more.
I agree with you. At first, it had a grid-locked movement, but it had some problems. Either you had to press the arrow keys a lot if I used love.keypressed() or it moved too fast if I used love.keyboard.isDown(). I've found the solution to make it like this to prevent these issues. I can solve this, as you said, by using a step counter, but I like the urgent feeling timers give to the player.
micha wrote: Besides that you can improve two small things:
  • Instead of letting the player press Space to start, let the player just start. As soon as the player presses an arrow key, the timer should start
This can be fixed easily.
micha wrote:[*] The human eye is not very good at seeing absolute colors. I found it difficult to judge from the depleting color, how much time I have left on each of the color. Maybe you can try a Health-bar-like display for the time left in the three colors?[/list]
I agree that colors don't give much information to the user. But they are just there to give the player a visual feedback. But there are already timers on the screen. But maybe I can use different colors for the blocks. Hmm...
I am 2D.
I am purplehuman on github.
And I am purplegordebak on twitter
purplehuman
Citizen

Post by purplehuman »

Update: Changed the colors of the boxes a little. See the first post.
I am 2D.
purplehuman
Citizen

Re: Timers

Post by purplehuman »

Update: Replaced the music with something made in the jam period. See the original post.
I am 2D.
purplehuman
Citizen

Re: Timers

Post by purplehuman »

If you like timers, please consider voting for it on texturelessjam website. All you need is a game jolt account.

Here's the game.
I am 2D.