Unexplored

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
sabadyCZ
Prole

Unexplored

Post by sabadyCZ »

A month ago I started to look at LÖVE and here is something what I am working on. For now it is only funny multiplayer shooter but in the future I am planning to do more than simple multiplayer shooter, but I am curious what LÖVE can handle. Maybe it will look same like now. I know there is many space games, but what do you think? It has potential?

Last edited by sabadyCZ on Mon May 04, 2015 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nixola
Inner party member

Re: Unexplored

Post by Nixola »

... So that is what you did in your first LÖVE month.
I feel bad about myself.
That game looks great. Really great. Please go on developing it.
lf = love.filesystem
ls = love.sound
la = love.audio
lp = love.physics
lt = love.thread
li = love.image
lg = love.graphics
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

I like the effects of the beam and rockets. :awesome: I definitely think this has potential. Does it already have multiplayer capabilities?
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
sabadyCZ
Prole

Post by sabadyCZ »

I~=Spam wrote:I like the effects of the beam and rockets. :awesome: I definitely think this has potential. Does it already have multiplayer capabilities?

Currently I tested it only with a few friends (maybe 5-6 I don't know) without any stability problem. Ping is stable when on map are about 300 rockets, but after that FPS goes from 60 to 40 and CPU runs about 40-50%. So I am happy with that.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

FPS on the client? If so is that the GPU slowing things down? Do you have culling for that graphics? Lol
sabadyCZ
Prole

Post by sabadyCZ »

bobbyjones wrote:FPS on the client? If so is that the GPU slowing things down? Do you have culling for that graphics? Lol
I don't have any optimalization with the graphics and my GPU is bad, so after 100+ rockets and around 6000 particles (smoke behind the rockets) FPS is less than 60.
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Yeah only render what's on screen should be one way to make it a little better. And canvas may be another but I'm not too sure about that
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

bobbyjones wrote:Yeah only render what's on screen should be one way to make it a little better. And canvas may be another but I'm not too sure about that
You could use a canvas to draw things that stay the same (background and planets). But I don't think that rendering only what is on the screen will make much a difference. Although, using SpriteBatches and quads will result in a big performance increase.
My Tox ID: 0F1FB9170B94694A90FBCF6C4DDBDB9F58A9E4CDD0B4267E50BF9CDD62A0F947E376C5482610
bobbyjones
Party member

Post by bobbyjones »

Lol render what's on screen will and in most cases do make a difference. Why waste any GPU time with things that can't be seen anyway?
I~=Spam
Party member

Post by I~=Spam »

bobbyjones wrote:Lol render what's on screen will and in most cases do make a difference. Why waste any GPU time with things that can't be seen anyway?
I never said it wouldn't make a difference. I said it won't make much a difference. And I still stand by that. The GPU doesn't have to work as hard on things that aren't on the screen. But, yes it does waste GPU time. But again the advantages you will get out of refactoring code so that it will auto cull objects not on the screen (BTW why doesn't LOVE do this automatically? It shouldn't be too hard to do that. :( ) is nothing compared to the advantages you will get from SpriteBatching.

Furthermore, it is a lot easier to change code so that it uses batching than so that it culls unseen objects. So logically speaking if it is easiest to implement and it will have the biggest impact why not do it? I was trying to give him helpful pointers to speed his graphics up that were the most worth of his time. :ehem: