zokEngine - Roguelike game engine. My first Love project.

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
DanielPower
Citizen

zokEngine - Roguelike game engine. My first Love project.

Post by DanielPower »

This is my first project with LOVE (And my first time using LUA). Most of my coding experience was from ages 12-16 with Game Maker. I'm now 21, and am dying to get back into game development. I've done very little coding in the years since then, so I'm pretty rusty. I picked up LOVE a few months ago, and just started hammering away on this over the past few days.

I'm looking for feedback on the code moreso than the content (since there really isn't any content). I've tried to keep it as clean as possible, though I'm sure many things are done wrong due to lack of experience, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*Update (2015-08-21)
I've had quite a while of inactivity on this. I work 7 days a week, so it's difficult to dedicate the time to making progress. I've finally gotten pathfinding working using an a* implementation I found on github. It was a major headache getting the script to work right with my engine, but I'm pleased with the results.

Controls are as follows:
'[' - Freeze-Time mode (You can move freely, enemies do not get turns)
']' - Turn-Based mode (Every time you move, each enemy gets a turn)
'\' - Toggles Freeze/Turn mode
'=' - Toggle the Debug terminal
't' - Pass a turn
Attachments
zokEngine.love
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 150 times
DanielPower
Citizen

Re: zokEngine - Roguelike game engine. My first Love project

Post by DanielPower »

Bump - Updated with a simple pathfinding implementation. Next on the agenda is simple combat (Move into an enemy to attack). And if I can find the time, I'd like to improve the debug scripts so that I can sort them by object and message type (So that I can have separate debug logs, combat logs, world logs, etc. and switch between them.