Pattern Generator v1.2b - Custom patterns!

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Pattern Generator v1.2b - Custom patterns!

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Hello again! After a long time (basically forever) since I've last had an actual finished, non-wip project, I decided it was finally time to change that. And this something is something I'm very proud of, since it's something different from anything else: a program designed to generate and render custom geometric patterns!

About:
What good is it? I don't know, you tell me! Since you can generate your own custom images with your own custom settings, that means you can use it for whatever you want! Want a new background? Sure! Want to print your own graph paper? Why not! Want to use it in a game? Can't stop ya!

How do I use it? Open it and... well, have fun! This program is pretty self-explanatory! On the top-left side, a list of all the custom options that the currently-selected pattern has (it may have none, it may have dozens, depends on who made the pattern). On the top-middle, global settings, like the size of the image you'll render, the color of the pattern, of the background, etc. On the top-right, randomization settings, if you can't think of a good pattern or just want to play around. Bottom-left has the main function, like previewing or navigating. Bottom/bottom-right has a small preview window for the currently-selected pattern, as well as a selector for you to change your desired pattern.

Can I make my own patterns? Of course! Not only because Löve has a support all of its own for loading files from AppData, but also because I gave it a support of its own! You can download an example file and learn how to make one yourself, or you can check the source code and go nuts (don't blame me if you can't understand my mess)!

I found a problem! If this problem is an error message in regards to canvases or graphics card settings, I can't do much about it other than recommend you to upgrade them. This program has Canvas as it core "engine", so if it doesn't run for you, I can't help. If you've got any other problem, just reply to this thread, message me via Forums' private messages or check my blog's contact page.

Screenshots:
[ Screenshots of the program ]
[ Example patterns ]

If you have any ideas, suggestions, opinions, problems, etc., lemme know by commenting here or contacting me anywhere, and I'll gladly try to get whatever you feel like this program needs!

Downloads:
(Files are hosted in Dropbox, but if needed, I can upload them as attachments to this current post)
[ Version 1.2b - Executable (.exe) ]
[ Version 1.2b - Source file (.love) ]
[ Example/tutorial file (.lua) ]

Older versions:
Changelog/To-do:

Changes:

Code: Select all

v1.2b
Fixed some custom pattern settings not loading properly;
Fixed numerical UI settings not saving when clicking off of typing mode.

v1.2
Changed the program's icon;
Fixed the "Drop an image" display;
Added a "Refresh program/code" button.

v1.1b
Redesigned checkboxes;
Rearranged some patterns' settings;
Fixed "Concentric Squares" pattern not showing squares all the way to the edge;
Better commenting on code.

v1.1
Added a new, built-in "Image Repeater" pattern;
Added support for image-loading in custom patterns;
Set numerical settings' arrows still (instead of following the text as it changed);
Added canvas templates;
Added randomization settings;
Added support for typing in values into numerical settings;
Added a custom error screen;
Logs are now saved each time you run the program or when an error happens;
Lots of minor fixes and small adjustments (i.e saturation bar on color wheels won't go full dark anymore).

v1.0b
Updated to LÖVE 0.10.x

v1.0
First release
To-do:

Code: Select all

- Online upload for patterns (not priority/may take a long time to do);
- Detect Pattern Generator updates online;
- Automatically install and run the latest version (if downloaded).
Last edited by HugoBDesigner on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
davisdude
Party member

Re: Pattern Generator v1.0 - Custom patterns!

Post by davisdude »

Looks cool! I'll have to try it out some time!
Have you considered adding a ruler and using dimensions other than pixels (inches/cm)?

Also, for one of your to-do's, this may help.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Thanks for the suggestions, Davis! I actually considered a function to upload images online, but I didn't know where to find it, so that link helped a lot!

As for the ruler/other dimensions, I currently just convert to pixels, but I guess using other dimensions could be really helpful. I don't know about the ruler, though: where exactly do you think it'd be better to fit a ruler? Right now, I can only think of the small preview on the bottom.
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Along the top/bottom and left/right of the screen. It isn't really necessary, but could be useful I guess.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

You mean something like this?
Attachments
Ruler test
Ruler test
PatGenPreview_ruler.png (105.65 KiB) Viewed 8438 times
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
micha
Inner party member

Post by micha »

This is a solid little app. Well done. I like the overall style. It is very polished.

One little interface thing that I don't like: The "right" button in the top left corner to switch between the "dashed line mode", changes its position depending on the current choice. That means, I cannot continue clicking without moving the mouse in between. Can you come up with a solution, where the buttons don't change position?
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Glad you liked it, Micha! About that issue, I faced it myself while coding. I wanted to make it so that the options would center around the two buttons, and that they'd be fixed in a position (therefore allowing you to switch multiple times), but then I found out it wouldn't work well design-wise. Instead, I added a function that, if you hold the button, it'll keep being pressed every fraction of a second, despite your mouse being or not over it (as long as you're holding it). Probably not the best solution, since this functionality is used mostly when changing numbers (so that you can change to larger numbers faster), so if you know any other better option to solve that issue, I'd gladly like to know :awesome:
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

HugoBDesigner wrote:You mean something like this?
Yup, exactly like that.
Sarcose
Prole

Post by Sarcose »

Haha, this is super cool. What about a "randomize" button? Utilities like this could really use them.
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Randomize what? All settings or select a random pattern?
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog