Motion Blurred Odometer

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Motion Blurred Odometer

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

Ah yes, it's been quite a while since I've posted on this forum, or even used Love2D. I've been making a bhop game on Roblox. And a lot of doing nothing. Well, I finally gathered enough shreds of motivation to actually do something interesting. I had been thinking of how this would look pretty cool for a pretty long time. I had also been thinking about how non-GPU intensive it could be with the right optimizations. Although the shader code could easily be optimized to run at least twice as fast, it's not at all slow. In fact, no matter how fast you make the odometer spin, you can never get passed a maximum complexity level. So yeah, motion blur with a constant complexity. Here's a video of it in action with an exponentially growing number:

Here are two files, the one used in the video, and one that counts in binary.
Odometer v1.0.love
Try resizing the window!
(58.52 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Odometer BINARY.love
1010010101010 *blurrs away*
(11.7 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Feel free to look through, I put more comments in the shader than I usually would because it has been so long since I used glsl. Also, try resizing the window!
Last edited by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx on Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
TheOdyssey
Citizen

Re: Motion Blurred Odometer

Post by TheOdyssey »

This is actually really cool and a lot smoother that I expected. Except when i use the binary one there's a point where it just stops. And also you should thing about animating the other numbers too. But this is really good and smooth too!
xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx
Party member

Re: Motion Blurred Odometer

Post by xXxMoNkEyMaNxXx »

TheOdyssey wrote:when i use the binary one there's a point where it just stops.
I blame floating point numbers!
TheOdyssey wrote:you should thing about animating the other numbers too.
All the numbers are motion blurred. They are not always moving though, in fact they are stationary most of the time, which is why you see the numbers blurred together instead of sliding. The sliding part is still there, it's just very faint. And that is exactly how it's supposed to be.