General Purpose Grid Editor - it edits levels

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Tesselode
Party member

General Purpose Grid Editor - it edits levels

Post by Tesselode »

GitHub link!

So! I'm working on a level editor! It's a little barebones, but I think it's pretty usable! It uses Lua tables for project setup, and it exports to Lua, too, so it should be pretty easy to use for any LOVE game.

I don't have any proper documentation right now, but you can look at the example files to see how things work. entities.lua is a table containing all of your entities (which just have name and image properties), tilesets.lua contains all your tilesets, and each file in the levels directory contains the actual level data. It's pretty straightforward, hopefully.

It's still under active development, so I can't promise I won't break anything, but go ahead and play around with it! Let me know how it feels. Give suggestions. Yeah!
MadByte
Party member

Re: General Purpose Grid Editor - it edits levels

Post by MadByte »

Looks pretty good and useful.
I've not tested it yet but I think it would be great if the tileset grid (where you select your tiles) is on the same page as the actual level you create. You could add the grid underneath the level editing grid and let it scale accordingly.
Just an idea :)
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Another suggestion, while we're giving ideas: add an option to bind tiles to certain keys (or the scroll wheel), that way you can rapidly place tiles.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

Another suggestion: create tile "objects", so that you can place certain types of tiles that always come together. For example: the outline blocks (like in the video), or the edges of the fence gates. This way, you just select an area of blocks and the editor will automatically place the corresponding tile for each side/corner.
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
rmcode
Party member

Post by rmcode »

Looks pretty cool :) I especially love the smooth UI!
Last edited by rmcode on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
undef
Party member

Post by undef »

Looks really nice!
twitter | steam | indieDB

Check out quadrant on Steam!
Tesselode
Party member

Post by Tesselode »

davisdude wrote:Another suggestion, while we're giving ideas: add an option to bind tiles to certain keys (or the scroll wheel), that way you can rapidly place tiles.
What keys would you want to bind them to? Because any of the keys are on limits for becoming a keyboard shortcut later on...
HugoBDesigner wrote:Another suggestion: create tile "objects", so that you can place certain types of tiles that always come together. For example: the outline blocks (like in the video), or the edges of the fence gates. This way, you just select an area of blocks and the editor will automatically place the corresponding tile for each side/corner.
That....sounds hard. We'll save that for version 3.0. :P
davisdude
Party member

Post by davisdude »

Tesselode wrote:What keys would you want to bind them to? Because any of the keys are on limits for becoming a keyboard shortcut later on...
Ideally, all keys would be re-mappable, but I would say it would make the most sense to do number keys, or scrolling with the mouse wheel (imagine an FPS weapon selection menu).
Tesselode wrote:
HugoBDesigner wrote:Another suggestion: create tile "objects", so that you can place certain types of tiles that always come together. For example: the outline blocks (like in the video), or the edges of the fence gates. This way, you just select an area of blocks and the editor will automatically place the corresponding tile for each side/corner.
If you're looking to do this, check out this link.
GitHub | MLib - Math and shape intersections library | Walt - Animation library | Brady - Camera library with parallax scrolling | Vim-love-docs - Help files and syntax coloring for Vim
HugoBDesigner
Party member

Post by HugoBDesigner »

davisdude wrote:
Tesselode wrote:
If you're looking to do this, check out this link.
Actually, the idea I had was much simpler: it'd apply the outline only to the area you're placing the tiles. Just like you'd normally place tiles (in the video) by selecting a rectangular area, but instead of the whole area being filled with the same block type, it could be set to have the borders of different tiles, and the interior being all the same (instead of making that region out of regular blocks and later on adding the borders).
@HugoBDesigner - Twitter
HugoBDesigner - Blog
Jasoco
Inner party member

Post by Jasoco »

Looks pretty good. As someone who is also working on his own editors (Script editor right now but man, you should see my level editor) I really like how simple but still feature-ful yours is. The animations add a nice touch. (I use animations myself.) Yours even has features I haven't even implemented yet but planned to. I've just been lazy. lol

I'd been planning on showing off what I've done so far but am so anal retentive about the presentation that I don't want to until it has everything I want to show off first.

Do you have a game in place as well? Or just an editor?