[library] LoveLive - Real time value tweaking (v0.2.0)

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Kingdaro
Party member

[library] LoveLive - Real time value tweaking (v0.2.0)

Post by Kingdaro »

heheheheheheheh clever name

LoveLive is a library I've made to make the process of editing game variables live a little nicer. Solutions for this exist, but I wanted to go for something that's simple to use and implement, and something that can show immediate output of a change in value to streamline the process a bit. If you have any questions as to how it's used, feel free to ask. Any suggestions or bug reports are appreciated too.

Here's a screenshot of the demo.

You can download it here: https://github.com/Kingdaro/lovelive
Attachments
demo.love
(4.96 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Last edited by Kingdaro on Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kingdaro
Party member

Re: [library] LoveLive - Real time value tweaking

Post by Kingdaro »

I imagine this isn't too relevant to anyone's current usage, but I updated the library to v0.2.0 with two main changes:
  • The mouse being bounded to the window, and therefore making you unable to change values is fixed.
  • The parameters for the UI font are changed to use love font objects instead of paths and sizes.
I have yet to actually test-run it in my other application, but one thing I've found is a little bothersome is having to loop through collections of objects to edit them as a result of a change in LoveLive. It makes me think whether or not there's an easier way to do that. I'll see if I can figure something.
SiENcE
Party member

Re: [library] LoveLive - Real time value tweaking (v0.2.0)

Post by SiENcE »

Interesting, but for me still to complicated to integrate and later remove from code. A transparent solution (or more transparent) would be nice.

But i also have no real idea todo this. I only have a similar solution like yours.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

That's an interesting thing to think about. An interesting thing I'll be thinking about.

So, perhaps, maybe another program entirely, where you'll somehow define the variables from there? Maybe using Lua environment trickery? Sounds like fun.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

There is/was a lib that is basically an external console for a löve game, that ran in the browser. Don't think one can be much more transparent than requiring that and calling its update function, and when the time comes, deleting two lines from the code.
Still, i might find use for this lib soon.
Nevertheless, good luck on thinking up something! :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
Kingdaro
Party member

Post by Kingdaro »

You're most likely referring to lovecat, which is similar to lovebird, but closer to LoveLive in purpose.

As far as I can tell... lovecat isn't all too hot when it comes to transparency. That's pretty much the one thing I wanted to achieve here: make it easy to use and easy to implement. Not sure if removal (aside from aforementioned solutions, which I'm already prototyping to some extent) can be done all that cleanly.
farzher
Prole

Post by farzher »

It's really good.

The simple fact that its console stacks duplicate messages allows me to quickly/lazily debug things.

The love console isn't so useful with all that spam.

Also it'll find all the global variables you leak by forgetting to use local.
Real-time variable inspection is great for debugging
And it's easy and convenient to use.
butts
Sind
Prole

Post by Sind »

Neat! I've actually been working on something similar myself.
Hm, I should probably make a thread for that sometime soon...