LÖVE-Packer: packaging made simple

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Ulydev
Party member

LÖVE-Packer: packaging made simple

Post by Ulydev »

-OK. 60mb is too large for you guys, I'm rewriting the app. In the meantime, let's discuss about which functionalities a LÖVE-Packer tool should feature.
Last edited by Ulydev on Mon May 16, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MadByte
Party member

Re: LÖVE-Packer: packaging made simple

Post by MadByte »

Promising.
The download size seems to be a little to large (60MB) for such a limited (feature-wise) tool.
As an user I would expect a filesize not lager then 1-5MB.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

Electron itself is quite heavy.
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Yes, the LÖVE-Packer code is very, very light, but Electron itself is around ~60mb because it is a minimalist version of Chrome. I'd gladly release this as a real web-app (i.e. a javascript app to open in your own browser), but the problem is that you can't call UNIX commands from a regular browser (I'm using ShellJS with Electron).
NickRock
Citizen

Post by NickRock »

Sadly it doesn't work for me (I use win 7) :(

It just pops up an error box saying "An error occurred. Please try game " and never finishes making the executable
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooow!!
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

OK. It seems like Electron definitely is the worst solution for this app. I'm going to switch this project to a live website instead of an offline tool.
RagingDave
Prole

Post by RagingDave »

You could also think about starting a small http server locally on some port and serve the website from there.
This would allow people to run your tool offline on their machine.

Just make people clone your repository and run your tool which starts the server and opens the website in a browser tab.
Jack5500
Party member

Post by Jack5500 »

I've thought about this many times and in the end it always comes down to the more exotic platforms like iOS and Android. The standard platforms are easily achieveable, which is why there are ~10 tools, which can pack you exactly that. But the is no good solution for iOS and I'm not sure about Android. The best way would be a serverside solution which takes care of the heavy lifting and a local sync client. The server itself could add Platforms in a addon kind of way and just send the packed solutions back to the client :)
NickRock
Citizen

Post by NickRock »

Jack5500 wrote:I've thought about this many times and in the end it always comes down to the more exotic platforms like iOS and Android
Totally agree with Jack5500! :D
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooow!!
Ulydev
Party member

Post by Ulydev »

Jack5500 wrote:I've thought about this many times and in the end it always comes down to the more exotic platforms like iOS and Android. The standard platforms are easily achieveable, which is why there are ~10 tools, which can pack you exactly that. But the is no good solution for iOS and I'm not sure about Android. The best way would be a serverside solution which takes care of the heavy lifting and a local sync client. The server itself could add Platforms in a addon kind of way and just send the packed solutions back to the client :)
You're right. An offline tool would always require the user to download the iOS and Android SDKs, which are very heavy. I'm currently porting this tool to an online solution that will handle this server-side.