[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
zorg
Party member

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.3 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by zorg »

brunosxs wrote:But I'd recommend one thing: Change the tone of the project, from a "clone of pico8" to a "virtual retro console" or something around those lines as being a clone can be detrimental for the project.
I don't think it's a clone anymore though...
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
cosme12
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.3 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by cosme12 »

brunosxs wrote:AWESOME
I bought pico8 last week. I am a sucker for pixel art and retrocomputing so when I read about the pico8 I feel in love with the concept but I was also hoping for a more open enviroment...
I know python and javascript and wanted to do something to learn love2d.

Don't let this little idea die...
But I'd recommend one thing: Change the tone of the project, from a "clone of pico8" to a "virtual retro console" or something around those lines as being a clone can be detrimental for the project.
Same here. I found Love because of this project. I only know python and php so I started learning lua. After 3 hours I was already pushing fixes to the engine. You will learn pretty fast!
brunosxs
Prole

Post by brunosxs »

zorg wrote:
brunosxs wrote:But I'd recommend one thing: Change the tone of the project, from a "clone of pico8" to a "virtual retro console" or something around those lines as being a clone can be detrimental for the project.
Sadly, it is not just a matter of looking or not looking like a clone, but also, getting vocal confirmation from the official source that it is or isn't one...

It would be better to say it got inspired by pico8... and so, wanted to create an open source virtual console.

BTW, I've read that you'd be willing to implement a tracker and audio-related stuff.
I am curious to see how this could be implemented. Does lua has the capability to generate sounds like a DSP?

Best regards.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

brunosxs wrote:
zorg wrote:
Sadly, it is not just a matter of looking or not looking like a clone, but also, getting vocal confirmation from the official source that it is or isn't one...
You might be right on this, though it'd be a sad world if so. You can't copyright ideas, just implementations, and trademark names, and i'd say this has a sufficiently different implementation and name as well, but who knows :|
brunosxs wrote:It would be better to say it got inspired by pico8... and so, wanted to create an open source virtual console.
The thread title -is- "[LIKO-12 V0.0.3 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d" :3
brunosxs wrote:BTW, I've read that you'd be willing to implement a tracker and audio-related stuff.
I am curious to see how this could be implemented. Does lua has the capability to generate sounds like a DSP?
Best regards.
Let's talk in IRC, shall we? :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Released V0.0.5 PRE:
(Added Windows32bit build)
Changelog:

!! Changed appdata folder name from .liko12 to liko12 to be visible in unix systems.
## New:
1. Added awesome fire & snake demos made by cosme12.
2. Nice hand cursor when hovering at the editor mode tabs.
3. Spriteeditor tools (Brush, Filler, Copy, Paste, Delete) !
4. Spriteeditor transformations (filp, rotate, etc..) !
5. Now shows info in the spriteeditor when copying, pasting and deleting.
6. The cursor is now visible when gif recording.
7. Sprite draw no longer sets the color to 1.

## Minor:
8. New sprites in the EditorSheet.
9. New cursor: point, shown in the terminal and games.
10. The window scale can be set by an enviroment variable "LIKO_SCALE", defaults to 3.
11. Now shows error msg when failing to paste in the spriteeditor.
12. Made the color palette selection bigger.
13. Non-functional flag buttons in the spriteeditor :P.

## Fixed:
14. Minor fixes in the api.
15. Bugfixed ImageData:getPixel.
16. Fixed crashing when using the mousewheel in the code editor.
17. You can no longer delete the path in the terminal.
18. Bugfixed the path being double written in the terminal when a cart errors.

Screenshots:

Thoughts ?
Positive07
Party member

Post by Positive07 »

brunosxs wrote:would be better to say it got inspired by pico8... and so, wanted to create an open source virtual console.
zorg wrote:The thread title -is- "[LIKO-12 V0.0.3 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d" :3
RamiLego4Game wrote:Image
You should change that to Pico 8 isnpired game console or something
for i, person in ipairs(everybody) do
[tab]if not person.obey then person:setObey(true) end
end
love.system.openURL(github.com/pablomayobre)
breadbeard
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by breadbeard »

I am so happy! :awesome: Thank you for making this! U addressed many of the issues I have with pico8, including:
Widescreen resolutions and scaling
Price and restrictions
Compatibility with Android and Raspberry Pi
Fonts and more!

Have u heard of CraftOS 2.0? It is the unreleased, new version of computercraft. Computer craft is a virtual computer made by dan200 to run inside minecraft. It has a lot in common with pico8 and your project. A few hundred computercraft users have been waiting 2+ years for the new version of computercraft to be released :ehem: During that time, pico8 has been exploding with success. Creating some serious competition for virtual, lua based, retro consoles.

I asked the pico8 dev if there was any possible plan to update the resolution issues, by adding pixels to create a Widescreen res. He said there are no plans, and it would slow the frame rate too much!
So basically, all lua based virtual consoles, have been at a stand still, since craftOS 2 is being forever delayed, and pico8 has tunnel vision when it comes to modern screens.

Of coarse, they are both amazing projects in their own right, and dan200 really deserves credit for creating the first, over 5 years ago. Pico-8 took that concept a step further, with open source carts, and built in editors, making the whole process even easier. The communities behind these consoles are an amazing, helpful, bunch of coders. Just reading the comments in those forums has always been inspiring.

You have finally created the best of both worlds here, now we just need the 100+ projects found on both the other consoles to ported over to LIKO-12!

Positive07 wrote:
brunosxs wrote:would be better to say it got inspired by pico8... and so, wanted to create an open source virtual console.
zorg wrote:The thread title -is- "[LIKO-12 V0.0.3 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d" :3
RamiLego4Game wrote:Image
You should change that to Pico 8 isnpired game console or something
Yeah, this is better than a clone! I would erase all uses of the word clone if I were u. Plus, pico8 is basically a computercraft clone anyway. I would change the way the editors look, and call this an original project now!
Maybe just say it was "inspired by craftOS and pico8" but this is really better than both IMO.
Last edited by bartbes on Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged triple post
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

breadbeard wrote:I am so happy! :awesome: Thank you for making this! ...
Thanks for your feedbacks :3 ,Those feedbacks pushes me to work on this project :)

I already knew about computercraft (This mod made me learn programming 5-4 years ago) (I'm the author of the computercraft version of redirection) (Also, dan200 told me that he will give me a steam gift code when he release his game, but now he denied to do that stating that he already gave me it on itch.io [no workshop, no commenity,...])

There's an early access of craftos2 in redirection aracade robot, but without the whole os, I saw all the gifs of craftos2.

Also, LIKO12 is starting to go far from pico8 in 0.0.6, It will have opereating systems and more !, Like a merge of Opencomputers, Computercraft, Craftos 2, and PICO-8

Plus a special os for the raspberry pi, so yeah, Lua OS !

The current version of liko12 os will be called "CartOS", and the new os will be called "LuaOS".

Also, I started recoding liko12 engine, i'm adding support for changing the screen res & the colorset (limited to 16 color, for gif recording)

So LIKO12 wont be called a clone of anything in 0.0.6, those will be metioned in credits as "inspired by, computercraft,craft ....".
breadbeard
Prole

Post by breadbeard »

That is wonderful news! I am glad you are changing the name and not calling it a clone anymore.
LuaOS would be a real dream come true, especially on RPI and Android. I have been searching for better ways to get beginners into programming for many years now. CC was one of the best ways I found, then pico8, now LuaOS!
I also think Arduino and simple robotics is a good stepping stone. I see this being a great potential tool for robotics programming. Many $10 wifi boards are programmed OTA wirelessly now, so no driver's are needed. The new node32 wifi dev board will also be Lua friendly.

This may be stretch, but if there was a web terminal, Lua OS could be used for Bitcoin transactions. I know u said online shopping restrictions were part of the reason for making this in the first place, so Bitcoin seems like a natural answer to govt. restriction problems.
Just ideas. I know there are many more important things to work on first!
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Arduino lacks of memory, so can't run Lua..
Maybe elua boards ? who knows ....
Raspberry Pi is thr best :3