[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by 77 »

What help do you need with the website?
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by RamiLego4Game »

77 wrote:What help do you need with the website?
Mainly: Hosting the website,

Secondly: Building the website software (I do have some experience with this, installing phpBB, Wordpress, etc..)
And if someone could make some custom software for the website would be amazing
breadbeard
Prole

Post by breadbeard »

Tic: the new virtual computer. https://nesbox.itch.io/tic
I was very surprised to find a new pico8 clone just weeks after learning about liko12.

I think since pico8 has a strong community, liko12 and tic should probably combine their efforts. After all, the community is what makes pico8 a success, so convincing some of those people to come on over here is the best way to grow this project. Combining the 2 projects would probably strengthen the community.

Tic has a higher resolution and does not use love2D though, instead it has been written in C, like I am assuming pico8 was. I really think this should be considered good news for liko12, because it means there is another engine out there, created for mostly the same reasons u made liko12. Now u guys need to combine your efforts to make the next evolution of the lua virtual computer!
Last edited by breadbeard on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
zerocoolisgod
Prole

Post by zerocoolisgod »

I think the point of LIKO-12 IS that it uses love. Which means it's hackable. I don't see what the point would be of combining with another project that was running on a custom engine.

Btw there is also Pixel Vision 8 which is aimed at being a fake SNES and development environment.
breadbeard
Prole

Post by breadbeard »

RamiLego4Game wrote:
scoobyff666 wrote:Would like to share this with you:
http://pastebin.com/TAW6zSpG
You're cool man !
Thanks for this game, I must create a website for sharing liko12 games :3

Could anyone help with that ?
Yeah, this is awesome! Well done sir!
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

breadbeard wrote:Tic: the new virtual computer. https://nesbox.itch.io/tic
I was very surprised to find a new pico8 clone just weeks after learning about liko12.

I think since pico8 has a strong community, liko12 and tic should probably combine their efforts. After all, the community is what makes pico8 a success, so convincing some of those people to come on over here is the best way to grow this project. Combining the 2 projects would probably strengthen the community.

Tic has a higher resolution and does not use love2D though, instead it has been written in C, like I am assuming pico8 was. I really think this should be considered good news for liko12, because it means there is another engine out there, created for mostly the same reasons u made liko12. Now u guys need to combine your efforts to make the next evolution of the lua virtual computer!
I already knew about tic before you. The problem with tic is that it isn't opensource, so it can't be hacked, also, what makes it different from LIKO12 ? the high res ?? I could higher that too (in lk12 0.6 changing the res is allowed) Changing the pallete ?? lk12 0.6 got that too ! different front ?? will add support for that soon. so what is missing from liko12 ? distributing ? that's also easy done.

What makes liko12 special as other said, it's writen for löve, written in lua, the same language you will use to create game the same you can use to hack the engine !

Also pico8, tic_computer doesn't allow people to hack the os of the console (I guess the editors are already not written in lua), while liko12 v0.6 does allow you to hack the os like using CraftOS

What's for 0.6 ? It's still work in progress, got the sprite editor working back, so yeah i'm close.
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

RamiLego4Game wrote:so what is missing from liko12 ?
Sound if i'm not mistaken, but i'm working on that. :3
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.
mseyne
Prole

Post by mseyne »

Hello Zorg, that great news I started to use liko12 instead of pico8 (well liko is unique because full open source lua, where TIC is javascript i believe, Pixelvision C#, CraftOs Java and more or less closed source).

I don't know much about sound generation but would it be difficult to generate midi sounds with love ? That would be really nice for a future music editor in liko.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

zorg wrote:
:ehem: , so what did you get working so far ?
zorg
Party member

Post by zorg »

RamiLego4Game wrote:
zorg wrote:
:ehem: , so what did you get working so far ?
An s3m player; not quite 100%, still needs a few things before i can even show it off.
That said, the timing already works flawlessly; though in my opinion, it'd probably be better to have a custom music format than to use an old derelict one, those tend to be too buggy and non-standardized to be useful, apart from the ability to edit/play them elsewhere.

Also, the code i have still runs in the main thread; i'm trying to think out a way so that it can fully work in its own. Would be good to start thinking about what interfaces it should have, along with features; i'm for a lot of things that are easy to implement. :P
mseyne wrote:I don't know much about sound generation but would it be difficult to generate midi sounds with love ? That would be really nice for a future music editor in liko.
MIDI instruments, kinda; but custom samples and/or basic waveforms like sine, square, triangle, saw; those are fair game. (And come 0.11, it'll be fast and easy to do as well!)
Me and my stuff :3True Neutral Aspirant. Why, yes, i do indeed enjoy sarcastically correcting others when they make the most blatant of spelling mistakes. No bullying or trolling the innocent tho.