[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
breadbeard
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by breadbeard »

I think u should put LIKO-12 as "early access" or "unreleased" on Google play store (since tic is on there) and see what happens. People with Android phones and tablets will probably be interested and adopt it. It works on Android now, but a proper app in the play store would be a big step in terms of the community.

It may need a more "gaming retro buttons" icon since that is why I tapped on Tic in the play store without even knowing what it was! A cool looking retro gaming icon sets it apart from the other million+ apps on the play store.

Some people just play retro games and know nothing about making them, but they will by inspired to try making them after playing pong or minesweeper with LIKO-12.

The built in Gameboy style buttons Tic has are a nice feature for casual phone game players too. LIKO-12 is amazing as it is, not trying to criticize here. I think it helps the user-base grow if you have features for non-coders too though ... just to plant the seed game design obsession and watch it grow like pico-8 has.
Atic Atac
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by Atic Atac »

Any remarkable app so far?
Would like to get it and try
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Atic Atac wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:31 am Any remarkable app so far?
Would like to get it and try
LIKO12 App ?,
Once I release liko12 v0.6 I will work on android related stuff, but ever note that currently 90% of my programming progress is on mobile, so most stuff is handled

LK12 V0.6 Progress:
Peripherals: GPU, CPU, HDD, Keyboard
DiskOS: optimized terminal, more like CraftOS.
Editors: SpriteEditor: Rebuilt with screen resizing support, plus bigger spritesheet for the default res.
CodeEditor: This is pain in the head, however: you can input some text, you can press enter, lua syntax highlighting, blinkining cursor, optimized render.

The reason of optimizations is that the new GPU has a function called screenshot, so I don't have to redraw everything on newline.

I did drop terminal autocomplete :( but just to keep it silly simple & generic.

For the documentation I'm thinking of adding a man (manual) system in the os + generators to generate pdf manual out of .man files
Taehl
Dreaming in associative arrays

Post by Taehl »

Watola wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:57 pm Hello everyone. I am created classic pong game in 100 lines of code. I am learning programming for 1 day. Thank you for creating LIKO-12, it's awesome and i love it. [...]
http://pastebin.com/VBr4K220
Hi Watola, nicely done! That's an excellent 1-day project. One potential bug you may want to be aware of is that your game will run in slow-motion on slow computers and at hyper-speed on powerful computers. This is because you let the game run and update as fast as it possibly can. It's usually more desirable for the game to run the same speed even on faster computers. This can be implemented very simply using an accumulator, like this. What are you going to make next?

Also, LIKO-12 is fantastic work, and just the sort of thing I was hoping to see after PICO-8 was announced. Good luck developing it, RamiLego4Game.
Earliest Love2D supporter who can't Love anymore. Let me disable pixel shaders if I don't use them, dammit!
Lenovo Thinkpad X60 Tablet, built like a tank. But not fancy enough for Love2D 0.10.0+.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Taehl wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:04 am
Watola wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:57 pm Hello everyone. I am created classic pong game in 100 lines of code. I am learning programming for 1 day. Thank you for creating LIKO-12, it's awesome and i love it. [...]
http://pastebin.com/VBr4K220
Hi Watola, nicely done! That's an excellent 1-day project. One potential bug you may want to be aware of is that your game will run in slow-motion on slow computers and at hyper-speed on powerful computers. This is because you let the game run and update as fast as it possibly can. It's usually more desirable for the game to run the same speed even on faster computers. This can be implemented very simply using an accumulator, like this. What are you going to make next?

Also, LIKO-12 is fantastic work, and just the sort of thing I was hoping to see after PICO-8 was announced. Good luck developing it, RamiLego4Game.
Thanks for this nice feedback, yes he has to used dt (delta time) [the time in seconds between every update call] it's passed as an argument to _update
JoniHintz
Prole

Post by JoniHintz »

Nice, LIKO-12 got mentioned in a talk at linux.conf.au https://youtu.be/AmMYWD2Zbso?t=13m8s
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

JoniHintz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 am Nice, LIKO-12 got mentioned in a talk at linux.conf.au https://youtu.be/AmMYWD2Zbso?t=13m8s
Now this is Amazing ! :3 I didn't know that liko12 got the interest of those many people
cosme12
Prole

Post by cosme12 »

JoniHintz wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:43 am Nice, LIKO-12 got mentioned in a talk at linux.conf.au https://youtu.be/AmMYWD2Zbso?t=13m8s
We are famouse! Hahaha congratulations.
Tinglar
Prole

Post by Tinglar »

How are games going to be distributed? I like the ".png image holds the full game" concept that the Pico-8 has.
Open, all-friendly, retro-style games!
https://github.com/tinglar
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Tinglar wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:10 am How are games going to be distributed? I like the ".png image holds the full game" concept that the Pico-8 has.
Well, yeah I will do the .png saving, but just give me time :)