[LIKO-12 V1.0.0] An open-source fantasy computer made in LÖVE

Showcase your libraries, tools and other projects that help your fellow love users.
breadbeard
Prole

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by breadbeard »

Watola wrote:Hello everyone. I am created classic pong game in 100 lines of code. I am learning programming for 1 day. Thank you for creating LIKO-12, it's awesome and i love it. There is a gif and code:
http://pastebin.com/VBr4K220
Great work! This is just what the project needs. The code is pretty straight forward, although a beginner may want more explanation. This could be a perfect intro to LIKO-12, even better than the snake game, since it has more physics and action involved.

Your code comments are helpful but could be even more so. Remember, computers must explain everything to us in the opposite way we explain everything to them. In other words, I think you should write detailed comments for each individual line. If u are learning yourself, use the way u learned to help others. Tell us the way u were able to understand it best. I would be happy to make an in-depth video explaining each line after you write your comments.

Making this project stand out from pico-8 will be a challenge. I think in-depth video tutorials would give it the edge though.
Last edited by breadbeard on Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Re: [LIKO-12 V0.0.5 PRE] An open-source pico-8-inspired game dev environment for love2d

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Watola wrote:Hello everyone. I am created classic pong game in 100 lines of code. I am learning programming for 1 day. Thank you for creating LIKO-12, it's awesome and i love it. There is a gif and code:
http://pastebin.com/VBr4K220
Awesome !
That's what I want to make updates for liko12, creating games in like is like giving 5 positive feedbacks !

Thanks for this game, and make sure to add touch support
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

Adding gif recording was a perfect step in liko12 ! Infact it's adopted from picolove, so thanks gamax !

And adding pastebin should be a great step too, but must have https before..
SagePtr
Prole

Post by SagePtr »

I think, with pico-8 palette it feels too cloney. Maybe switch to another 16-color palette? Like Dawnbringer one or Arne
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

SagePtr wrote:I think, with pico-8 palette it feels too cloney. Maybe switch to another 16-color palette? Like Dawnbringer one or Arne
Well, I love the PICO-8 pallete + it's licensed as CC0, so that doesn't count as a clone
Anyway, In LIKO-12 v0.6.0 you will be able to edit the colorpallete in the bios config
SagePtr
Prole

Post by SagePtr »

Good. I think, it will be good idea to allow game developers to choose palette for their games and store it in cart metadata. But somehow limit its usage, for example, they can choose colors design-time but cannot change them runtime.
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

SagePtr wrote:Good. I think, it will be good idea to allow game developers to choose palette for their games and store it in cart metadata. But somehow limit its usage, for example, they can choose colors design-time but cannot change them runtime.
It's changeable in the bios, can't be changed when LIKO-12 is running, because of the gif record.

Changable in the bios means it affects everything, but that's makes no problem when devs are releasing their games as standalone
scoobyff666
Prole

Post by scoobyff666 »

Would like to share this with you:
http://pastebin.com/TAW6zSpG
RamiLego4Game
Citizen

Post by RamiLego4Game »

scoobyff666 wrote:Would like to share this with you:
http://pastebin.com/TAW6zSpG
You're cool man !
Thanks for this game, I must create a website for sharing liko12 games :3

Could anyone help with that ?
alberto_lara
Party member

Post by alberto_lara »

how did I miss this? it's indeed awesome, it evokes those old atari games and a lot of those even older console-computer crafts :D